Chapter Sixteen | Stepping Up to the Plate

Chapter Sixteen
_____

Aliyah 

"Baby, are you okay?" my father asked from the driver's seat as he focused his gaze to the passenger seat at my mother. She had her eyes shut tightly and was leaning over on the door handle for some support. She looked sickly for some reason and that sparked worry in the both of us. This was new to me because she had never looked like this before, which made me wonder what was really up. My mom could tell me anything and if something was bothering her, I'd usually be the first to know.

"Nothing Darrel," she said for about the tenth time tonight, dismissing the whole topic. He had asked her just that many times, and always got the same reply from her. He sighed and continued to drive his all black BMW down the street. My mother was a very stubborn woman, much like me. I guess I got that trait from her honestly.

I was currently riding in the back, all because I didn't want to drive my car tonight, well that and my dad insisted that I ride with them as a "family" for once since I got my driver's license. I don't know where that came from all of a sudden, but I just agreed to it anyway. I could save gas, not that it was ever a problem. We were on our way to Olive Garden for dinner this evening. My dad had rented out the whole restaurant for the night. He had called a Cartel meeting, and asked everyone to be there at 7 , with their families as well. He did this every so often to involve his family with his workers, so we would all be somewhat familiar with each other if something bad was to ever happen to either of them. I didn't want to come, but father dearest made me tag along, so I didn't push the issue.

"I'd rather be ya N-I-G-G-A

So we can get drunk and smoke weed all day

It don't matter if you lonely baby, you need a Thug in your life

Cause busters ain't loving you right

I'd rather be ya N-I-G-G-A

So we can get drunk and smoke weed all day

It don't matter if you lonely baby, you need a Thug in your life

Cause busters ain't loving you right" 

My dad rapped along to Tupac's "Rather Be Ya Nigga" song. He cut the music up louder, so the speakers buzzed from the back and on the sides of the doors. He had that installed when he first got this car about a year ago. I couldn't help but to laugh as he tried to rap to my mother who paid him no kind of attention. My dad was almost forty years old and still tries to act like he's in his early twenties. He didn't look his age, nor did he act it, but he was really up there in numbers.

"Baby, just let Tupac have his song." My mother muttered with a slight smile on her face. She looked over at my dad, whom was bobbing his head up and down, while doing some kind of movements with his hands. He think he a thug, but in reality he's a big wussy, especially when it comes to my mother. She could have him eating out the palms of her hand if she wanted to. They were very dysfunctional and fought often, but when it came down to it, she had his back and he had hers.

"Mel, don't flex in front of Liyah. You know you love it when I do this shit baby. You don't be complainin' when I'm giving you the business while I rap this same song in our bedroom. Now I want you to lie and say you do." he said looking over at her with a broad smirk on his face. She laughed and shoved his arm a bit so that he would quit.

"Shut up Darrel, you better keep your eyes and hands on the wheel." she smiled sheepishly and rolled her eyes like a school girl. He made her perk up just that quick and it was kind of cute. I guess what they say is right, a woman will always have a soft spot for her man.