Rest In Peace, Whizzer Brown

The stone felt smooth and cool as Marvin lightly brushed his fingertips across the top edge, near where Jason had set his chess piece as a final gift. He could never remember what piece it was, which made him kinda chuckle at his own stupidity. The happy feeling quickly faded however, as chess brought up the bitter memories as well. In fact, it was one of the worst moments in Marvin's life. The fight. The breakup. The foolishness. He had taken Whizzer for granted. He was just so used to him being there, and now he was gone.

Sure, he had been gone for a while now. Almost a year, in fact. But the sour, twisting feeling in Marvin's gut had never went away ever since his boyfriend's passing. Nothing had been the same. Jason was moping in his room again, sometimes even crying or breaking things, the lesbians were almost the same, but some of their happy go lucky go cheer had vanished with Whizzer. Trina and Mendel were okay, not largely affected. After all, he was the man Marvin cheated on Trina with. But he could almost swear that sometimes when she came over to pick up Jason on Sunday evening, sometimes he would hear her crying in the bathroom. Or maybe that was his imagination. Either way, it made him feel even worse.

Even though Marvin had changed. Even though that he had saved his relationship with his little sweetie Whizzer. Even though they admitted their love. There was something off. Something that had been bugging Marvin ever since Whizzer had died of the mysterious disease. Maybe it was the fact that he knew he would die of the same disease, or maybe it was the thought that no one would care if he died. Marvin couldn't quite put his finger on it, and with Mendel always busy with his klutzy patients and wife, he couldn't exactly ask for his help and guidance. Not that he would be any help anyway.

"Wow, this trip turned dark," Marvin muttered to the grave. "My thoughts are quite depressing today, aren't they, Whiz?"

Thinking of the endless possible things his boyfriend could've said to that made Marvin laugh. "You think you're so funny, don't you, kid?"

He found his voice shaky at the end of that last bit, and before he knew it, a crystal tear started to slowly roll down his rosy cheek. This was getting more depressing hy the minute, but Marvin realized that he didn't really care, in fact, the purpose of his daily visits was to remember the past, and unfortunately, these sad depressing thoughts were basically his life.

That's when the waterworks came into play. Tears were now streaming down his face endlessly, and his chest heaved up and down as the sad thoughts only made his heart throb with a bitter, cold pain. This was a normal part of his visits, as his life being so sucky, the depression mixed with the thought of death always made him tear up. But unlike other visits, something really special happened. In that very moment, when he started crying, and his heart throb started up, a warm comforting voice rang in his head.

"Why, it's Marvin the tough guy, crying like a kid. Don't see that everyday."

The voice was unmistakable, and while he knew his mind was playing games, he felt the need to respond.

"Shut up, Whiz," he said, trying to halt crying so his pretend lover could understand him. "Be nice to your old man."

Marvin could only imagine his partner's soft, gentle laugh, as the voice didn't return, but just thinking about it made him do something he now very rarely did: smile.