FOUR

"Well done, Adele"

"Thanks boss, it was an easy shot," I answer shrugging.

We're back in San Diego, in one of the 32nd Street Naval Station buildings. The SEAL team is submitting their report to the top brass and I'm doing the same with Gibbons but in a more relaxed atmosphere, sitting on a table swinging my leg on the edge. The news of Rivera's death have spread like a wildfire and Juarez's cartel has launched a shy attack on the hideout of a little group of Sinaloa members: they're testing the waters and, if there's no response, they'll try to take control of their enemies territory. This war is going to be on for years and will eliminate several members of both factions; they'll be too busy to send large amounts of drugs across the border. That's exactly what my Machiavellian boss intended to achieve, if they kill each other it saves us the trouble of doing it.

"Becky appreciates you taking good care of the equipment, is there anything that you need to take with you?"

"No thank you, my own gun rack is well stocked. I'm only taking my baby. Where's Becky?"

"She's on holiday like you all. She's attending some technical lectures for MIT engineers. You know how she is..."

"What? Why she can do something that she really loves while you've sent me to live like Tarzan in the jungle? And let me guess... Xander is in India with Serena, isn't he? I'm offended, FYI."

Gibbons doesn't answer and he just smirks at me. The more I look at him, the more suspicious it seems. I bet he knew about this mission for weeks before sending me on holiday to a California forest near the Mexican border so I was nearby when the action started. My boss has everything under control and he's always one step ahead. I wonder for how long he's been watching me closely, waiting for the perfect opportunity to talk me into becoming part of the group. Which one of my missions helped me pass the "Gibbon's test"? Did I meet Xander by accident? Was it a set-up? God, this job is turning me into a nut-ball conspiracy theorist.

"Okay, now what?"

"Well, thanks to your enviable aim we've managed to halt the shipment of Blue Ice to our country. Now we just need to find the last shipment already sent before it's distributed and kills more young people. We're watching closely some low-level dealers but we think the cartel had someone who was working on the inside, someone who most likely has an important position in the Administration that helped the drug traffickers to dodge the border police. I don't know who it is yet, but I will. Unfortunately, tech can't find him in any of the security-cam footage and his voice on the taped telephone conversations is distorted. He' smart... but so I am. Don't worry, I'll get him." The boss purses his lips in disgust, he's a control freak with a temper and likes to keep an eye on everything. "Anyway, I no longer require your services, at least for the moment."

"And what about girls?"

"Admiral Moore's daughter is already with her father on her way to a rehab centre in Switzerland. I hope that they can help her... The other blonde is a Wall Street investor's daughter so she's on a plane to New York right now. And as for the brunette you found... she's a problem." I squirm in discomfort sitting on the table, I don't like him to talk that way about Chris. Gibbons gives me a knowing glance and he smiles mockingly. "The bump on her head doesn't seem serious, the skull isn't fractured and there aren't major injuries or blood clots but she has post traumatic amnesia and doctors don't know why. Apparently she doesn't remember anything, she can't remember her name or how she got to Rivera's house but, at the same time, she keeps basic knowledge like language proficiency for example. Also she doesn't seem affected by Blue Ice like the other two girls so maybe she's one of the few privileged that doesn't get hooked on it. It's hard to tell since the drug doesn't show up in most blood screenings so we can't know how much she took."