EPILOGUE II

Dear readers, I've been informed that I can't leave things this way. Please, forgive me. Here you have the real end of this story. 

Night has fallen and shadows cover the woods, beady yellow eyes watch from the tall branches ready to dive at its prey, the rustle of leaves under tiny paws is the only thing that can be heard in this clearing not far from the forest track... The little gray squirrel feels its heart pounding on its throat while it runs the last feet and reaches its own tree. Now, this is the most difficult moment: it's going to be completely exposed to the predator's eyes while it climbs to the drey. If it climbs slowly it'd be exposed during a long time, if it climbs quickly its movements could grab de attention of the owl on the branch. What to do? It's a tough decision...

Taking a deep breath, the little animal chooses an option and climbs at full speed. It only takes 5 seconds to get to the drey but it seems like an eternity. It has barely got into the nest hole its soft and long tail when the squirrel feels a gust of wind followed by a shrill screech and the beating of heavy wings against the sky. The big owl leaves disappointed: no rodent dinner tonight for the bird.

The squirrel feels its heart racing, about to pound right out of its chest, while it makes itself comfortable in its warm bed of dry leaves. Taking an acorn from a little pile in the corner, it chews quickly and swallows before turning to stare at its squirrel wifey and say:

"You wouldn't believe what happened today."