FOURTEEN

The sound of a truck's horn on the road near the hotel wakes me up from my fitful sleep. I haven't rested properly for the last three nights and that's going to take its toll on me soon, I need some hours sleeping soundly but that's not going to happen today, at least till much later. Chris is sleeping with her head on my shoulder and her arm around my waist, she's been stuck to me like glue all night. Every time I turned in bed her body followed me in order to keep touching my skin... did she truly think that I was going to leave her after all we've been through together? To be honest, I was really furious and I don't even know what I'd been capable of. When I thought that she'd slept with me in order to guarantee my protection... I've never felt like that before in my entire life: hurt, angry, desperate; I felt like she'd taken my heart, she'd trampled on it and she'd thrown it to my face.

During these past hours I've had enough time to think about it and, as she said some days ago, I understand it and it's possible that if I were her, I'd do the same thing. She was terrified and she'd been through hell for weeks, in fact, Chris is way stronger than I thought and that makes me admire her eve more... and love her even more. I probably wouldn't have kept up the lie for so long but I understand why she did it and, in addition to this, she doesn't know Gibbons, he's not like those uptight suits from D.C, she had no way of knowing that he wouldn't put her to jail on the basis of mere suspicion... talking about my boss, I'm pretty sure he knew who Chris was and that's the reason why he sent her to live with me... Fuck! He's always one step ahead of us.

My girl mumbles something in her dreams and hugs me tighter, even if it seems impossible. Last night she scared the hell out of me when I realized that she was having a panic attack, seeing her crying was hard and then feeling her trembling on the bed... I had to harden my heart so I could resist the temptation to hug her but when she passed out... You can't fake that, the fear in her eyes when she thought that I was leaving her alone, her desperation when she grabbed my legs with her hands... I realized that she was telling the truth and I almost passed out too due to the relief I felt. When she finally opened her eyes and I could hug her again I wanted to cry too. And when I kissed her I just wanted to make sure that the spark of warmth I feel in my heart every time I touch her was still there: it was there, even if I was livid with anger at the same time... I'm still angry with her... but I can't ignore the chemistry between us. I'm going to find out what's happening, I'm going to fix it and then I'm going to have a serious conversation with Chris to determine where we're going with this relationship... and it'll be without lies.

I extend my arm to reach the nightstand where my phone is so I can call my boss. Apparently, I'll have to talk quietly from bed, I don't want to wake up my girl but it's clear that she isn't going to release me and let me speak from the balcony outside. I open the app that encodes my calls and type, despite it's very early in the morning Gibbons answers on the first ring.

"How long did you know?" I hiss furiously at the phone while I put my arm around Chris to hold her tight.

"Did she tell you? God, I'd love to see that... I didn't know she was his daughter till two days ago so don't be mad at me. That bastard hid it well and he set things up to make her cross the Mexican border illegally, it's been very difficult for me to find out who she was. I knew she was special, she didn't look like the other girls, and the whole memory loss thing seemed suspicious to me but I couldn't be sure that it was a lie. I realized that she was scared and that it would be easier for her to trust you over me or any other person, that's why I sent her with you... and because the sexual tension is so thick when you look into each other's eyes that it can be cut with a knife. I thought you could use a little extra fun to relieve stress. Has she told you anything?"

"The story of her parents and how she got into México. One of the girls you're looking for is dead, she witnessed her torture and murder and they used the show to intimidate her but, besides that, she doesn't know why they're after her."