3

Mike's pov

I was hesitant to go out, and I think he was more nervous than I was. I mean it would be difficult for us to do anything related to our relationship in the public, considering it's the 80s. But I didn't care about the staring as much as Will did.

And I knew sometimes if someone from school was around he would nudge my shoulder to act "normal". I still question his use of that word. But none the less, I decided to buy him flowers after I left his house that day. I rode my bike to the florist shop on the main commercial road in the town. I bought a beautiful bouquet of daisies and white roses. I hoped he'd like them. I would save them in a vase at my house for a while, not to seem to clingy. My mom kept getting more and more suspicious, so I told her that I was just decorating my room. I kept them fresh for days.

Will and I went out a lot, and even though the town is small neither of our parents knew about us (OR SO THEY THINK MUAHAHAHA). Things were going smoothly. He stayed over a lot. I stayed over a lot. Jonathan obviously knew but seemed to trust me enough. He was actually kind of happy for us, I guess.

One day Will was at my house. My Parents were both at work and Nancy was out shopping. It was nice to have the living room to ourselves for a while. We rewatched the star wars movies from the first night. We made the same snarky comments, a little more educated this time, making us laugh more than ever.

I lay out on the couch and wave him over. He giggled as he walked over and snuggled up next to me. I pulled a blanket off of the back of the couch and wrapped us up too close on accident, but we liked it. No we loved it. Just like we loved each other. Our legs got tangled under the blanket and we laughed and he pulled and adorable giggle fit when he almost fell off of the couch. We finally got comfortable and we lay finishing our third Star Wars film by falling asleep. Our legs were tangled and our hands were gripped loosely. Though one of my hands was across his waist.

I woke to a giggle from a familiar voice. A feminine voice. I sat up carefully not to wake Will, and rubbed my eyes to see a Nancy fresh from the outdoors, purse still in hand. I was fumbling for words to say.

"Oh don't worry. You guys are cute. I wont tell mom I promise. Just don't screw it up, Mike." And with that she left upstairs.

Will moved a little in his sleep so I decided we should go upstairs so mom doesn't see us when she gets home.

"Will...Will, we need to go upstairs... Come on we need to go to bed but we cant down here.." I said lightly shaking him.

"Hmm... Okay. Lets go." He said. He seemed a little tired as he walked up the stairs and into my room, but he seemed alert and more awake that he should have been. He jumped onto my bed giggling atop of my blankets. I lay next to him.

"I'm glad your sister I okay with us..." He mumbled quietly. I knew it! That's probably why he was already somewhat awake.

"Oh so you heard... Sorry for waking you." I said apologetically, "What do you want to do..?"

"Well... There is one thing..." He said quietly. He looked away and blushed, pointing a finger to his cheek. I laughed and cracked a toothy smile as I leaned over. I pecked his cheek as he lay his hand on mine, and then he kissed my lips. We kissed for a long time. Eventually we lay under the covers. I wrapped my arms around him once again and he was the one to scooch in close this time.

Then the thought crossed my mind. The Snowball! I figured he might not want to go with me because of the whole "publicity" thing but I might as well ask... I'll use the flowers. But later. Right now we should probably just sleep.

In the morning, I woke up alone. I got a little anxious and sped downstairs. I found Will sitting at the counter in the kitchen, chatting with my mom about something while she cooked. Will noticed me and smiled the biggest smile I've ever seen.

"Good morning, Mike!" He practically jumped on me and pecked my cheeks multiple times. I almost pushed him away but then I realized something was up. He was usually more cautious than I was around my mom, so I assumed they had been chatting about... about—us.

And sure enough the next words out of my moms mouth were so comforting. "I'm so happy for you two! I'm exited because I really believe you two will last. I do need to talk to you about some stuff though..." She gestured for us to sit at the counter. Will was holding my hand the whole time, very happy. Happier than I've ever seen him.

"You guys just need to understand and be careful in public...because..."

I cut her off. "Because people don't like – this."

"Well... yes." She said sadly.

We went over some ground rules and Will and I went up to my room. Will

didn't know but I had been chatting with his mom over the weeks. I knew it was only a matter of time before he talked to mine. So, I decided to ask him the question. I told him to sit on the bed. He sat with his arms in his lap as I grabbed the flowers.

I came back with them and sat on my knees so our height would be level, and asked him. I showed him the flowers and he gasped and his eyes lit up.

"Will Byers. I think about every millisecond when we aren't together. And I cherish the moments we have together. I know we shouldn't make us obvious in public but I thought one night would be okay..." He was almost bouncing up and down. He knew what was coming.

"Wil you..." He gets ready to pounce "... Go to the Snowball with—" "Yes!" He screamed tears forming in his eyes as he jumped on my and pushed me to the floor. I lay on my back, he atop of me, legs on either side of my waist. He bent down and smothered my face in kisses.

"You are amazing." He said giggling and almost sobbing.

"You as well, young Padawan." We laughed, and I thought for a moment the world had froze. Until my father smashed on my door. My mother was yelling at him to stop in the background.

"Ted! CUT IT OUT TED!"

"NO! MICHAEL WHEELER OPEN THE GODDAMNED DOOR," He bellowed.

I looked for the window. Will saw where I was looking and nodded at me.

"We'll go to my place." And out the window we vanished. My heart was crushed. How could this ever work out, my father obviously objecting. But then I remembered how good it was before anyone knew. And as we walked, I held on to that. Really. Friggin'. Tight.