15

---

Will's pov

I woke up normally, but I felt... weird. Like there was this faint pain just begging to surge my body. Though, it went unnoticed, as my side was hurting a lot compared to the usual. I started to think about what I should do when my train of thought was broken by the cute sound of Mike, murmuring himself awake. He sat up, stretched and then looked down at me with an adorable smile. But the smile quickly drained and drooped into a concerned look. Something wasn't right.

"Will...? A-are you okay?" Mike said studying me quickly.

"Yea, I'm—" I startled myself. My voice was so much scratchier for some reason. I continued after a quick self-assessment.

"I-I'm okay... I think?" I said. I felt the faint pain in my body worsen. My head throbbed to the beat of my heart.

"Come... come get some clothes on and we can check with your mom, I guess..." Mike said with a lot more worry in his voice that time.

He got out of bed first, standing up. I slowly scooched over to the same edge of the bed and drooped my legs over the edge. I tried to stand up, but instead of supporting my own weight, my knees bent, and I fell. Mike caught me and lifted to my feet reflexively.

"O-okay then..." He coped.

I felt a little awkward holding onto Mike for balance as he helped me put on some baggy clothes (After he'd gotten dressed). Some sweatpants, one of his shirts that was way too big for me and some slippers. As he wrapped his arm around me securely and started for the door, a sharp pain schnapped my head back into reality and I would have toppled over if Mike wasn't holding on to me. I yelped loudly in pain and held my head as Mike brought me out to my mom, convinced I needed a hospital. Again.

And that's exactly what happened. My mom and Mike both had to help me into the car. She asked me a bunch of basic medical questions the whole way there.

I guess I looked really sick, or pale, or something because the moment I walked into the front entrance holding onto Mike for dear life, doctors noticed and rushed over. This scared me a little bit, but I didn't need an operation like the last two times so Mike could come with mthe whole way there, which was all I wanted at this point (sorry, mom).

They dropped me into a wheelchair and as soon as I sat down I felt lightheaded. The pain got worse and my body seemed almost completely limp. They told me not to worry and that I would be okay soon, but I just kept staring at Mike, making sure he was there.

---

Mike's pov

Will was malnourished and had somehow lost 13 pounds in the last week, which explains why all of his clothes were baggy. There were about four I.V.'s pumping nutrients and water and protein and such into his veins. He had lost so much of everything that he said one I.V. felt like someone was stabbing him with a knife (if you've ever gotten an I.V. you'd know that it should hurt for about ten seconds at most).

"Do you want me to go get you something? Ice cream?" Joyce asked Will. He tried to answer but his voice hurt too much to use so he just nodded.

They had Will out of the hospital in about two days after they'd run checks and test. I had gone home because I hadn't slept in my own bed (or slept at all for that matter) it quite a while. Mom was at work, Nancy was listening to music in her room, and my dad was asleep on the couch like usual. I decided to grab an apple out of a bowl in the kitchen and walked up the stairs, into my room, and onto my bed. Tomorrow we were all having a sleepover at Will's house because Jonathan was going out and Will's mom was working. Max, Lucas, and Dustin so us five were going to catch up while we were there. I assumed that I would get there before everyone.

"Is everyone here? Over," I heard Will's voice on the walkie talkie. I snatched it and the rest of us four all tuned in, "here."

"All right so in 12 hours' time you will show up at my house wearing..." Will said, expecting someone to complete his sentence. I heard Lucas laugh.

"...Oversized sweatshirts and pajama pants, over," He completed. There was a long silence, until I heard Dustin's voice.

"So, who's ready for the big whoop at Will's!? ... over," He said, his lisp getting less and less prominent. A loud cheer from everyone followed.

"Okay, well, I'll see you guys there! Bye! Over and out," He said and that ended our conversation, as everyone left after him.

I set the walkie talkie down and flopped back on my bed, hands on my face, looking up at the ceiling. And then I felt them. The tears. I don't understand. I don't understand. How can someone so amazing have it so bad. It wasn't fair. I curled up into a little ball and just cried. I just cried. I heard my door open and I sat up, quickly trying to wipe my tears away, but It was too late.

"Mi—Mike? Are you alright?" Nancy said seeing me and quickly moving to the bed, putting her arm around me. I just couldn't stop crying. It was so UNFAIR! She rubbed my shoulder, and I cried into her, holding on for dear life. Nancy tried to sooth me as best she could, and I sobbed.

"I-It's s-so unf-fair..." I said still sobbing.

"Oh... I know... I know Mike..." She said, holding me tighter.

"How-w can s-someon-ne so wond-derful, a-and adorab-ble h-have the wor-rst l-life..." I cried, and it took Nancy a minute to decode what I was saying.

"Oh, Mike... All you can do and all you need to do, it be there for him when he needs you most..." She soothed, which calmed me down a little, but I still cried a little longer.

I will always be there.

Always.

A/N

Alright, this was a more emotional chapter, but next chapter will be the sleep over, and its-a-gonna-be-so-fluufffyyy!!! I hope you enjoyed, and be sure to comment a question if you have one, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Thanks, baiiiiiiiii!!!

-M