The morning after

The next day Alec woke up.

He narrowed his eyes at his phone, that was still rested against the book but the display was black. He tried to turn it on but nothing happened.

“Damn it.”, Alec groaned. His battery must have died.

He plugged in the charger and got up. He looked at the time and saw it was already after noon. Alec sighed and slipped in some sweatpants and a t-shirt and made his way downstairs to eat something.

Everything still smelled like Christmas and Alec inhaled the scent happily. He walked into the kitchen and found his mom cooking.

“Good morning, Alec … or more like good afternoon.”, she commented his appearance.

“Morning.”, he mumbled and opened the fridge to look for food.

“Woe you if you eat something. I’m cooking right now. Food is ready in thirty minutes!”, his mother muttered.

Alec sighed and closed the fridge. He strolled back to his room and threw himself on the bed.

He took his phone and turned it on. He had got a message from Magnus.

Suddenly the evening flashed back in his thoughts.

“Oh god.”, he whispered frightened. How could he look Magnus in the eye ever again? What had he done?

‘Good morning, Alexander.’, Magnus had written.

Alec blushed hard. How should he handle this situation?

“Izzy!”, he gasped and stood up.

“Izzy!”, he shouted while he rushed down the corridor.

“What is it, Alec?”, Izzys head appeared in her doorframe.

Alec pushed her back inside her room and closed the door behind them.

“I need your help.”, he whispered out of breath.

Izzy sat down on her bed and told him to follow her.

“What is it?”, she asked again.

Alec watched his phone that was still in his hand and then Izzy again.

“I fucked up, Iz.”, he started.

“It’s about Magnus, we talked over the phone yesterday and I did something stupid, Iz. I don’t know what to do!”, he tried to explain but he did not know how.

Izzy patted his shoulder.

“Calm down, big brother. Start from the beginning.”, she said calmly so Alec did.

He told her what happened the last evening with Magnus and she listened.

“You’re so stupid, Alec.”, his sister sighed after Alec had finished.

“I know.”, Alec whispered.

His sister looked at him understandingly.

“Ok Alec. Just act like it meant nothing to you. If he cares he will show it.”, Izzy advised.

Alec nodded.

‘Good morning, Mags.’, he answered Magnus’ message.

Their mother called them for lunch and they went downstairs. Alec’s stomach growled so he ate way more than his other family members. He was curious about the end of the lunch because he wanted to see if Magnus had answered. 

As soon as they finished he got up and vanished to his room.

He took his phone out and watched the display. Magnus had actually answered.

‘I really enjoyed the call yesterday. Maybe we could do it again?’, he wrote with a winking emoji.

Alec blushed. What should he answer?

‘Sure, if you want to.’, he answered hoping that it wasn’t that clingy.

He waited for an answer and started to walk circles in his room. After ten minutes his phone buzzed.

‘I could never say no to a handsome person like you.’, Magnus answered.

Alec blushed again and smiled widely. He just sent a blushing and grinning emoji back. He did not know what to say.

‘What do you do today?’, Magnus wanted to know.

Alec shrugged his shoulders.

Don’t know. Reading my new books maybe.’, he typed back.

Magnus sent a smiling emoji.

‘You are such a bookworm.’, he wrote.

Alec smiled and sent an emoji that was shrugging his shoulders.

He waited a while but there was no answer from Magnus. So he put his phone away and reached for one of the books he got for Christmas.

He started reading and after two hours he checked his phone again.

‘I miss you.’, Magnus had sent him about two hours ago.

Alec flinched. Why did he not hear his phone?

‘Sorry for not answering, I was lost in one of those books.’, he answered as fast as possible.

He got an answer really quick.

‘No problem, Baby. I don’t want to disturb you.’, Magnus wrote.

Alec loved how he called him those pet names.

You won’t.’, he wrote back with a smiling emoji.

They messaged a lot that day and the next day too. They texted a lot the whole week.

When it was new years eve Alec went to a party with his siblings and Jace’s new girlfriend, a little redheaded girl. She brought her best friend, who tried to flirt with Izzy so that Alec felt forever alone. He really missed Magnus and wished he could be here.

When the clock hit twelve Alec sheered with the other ones. They took photos under the firework and drank a little.

His friends tried to pair Alec of with some random dudes but Alec turned everyone down. He did not want to cheat on Magnus even if they weren’t together.

When they got home Alec tried to stay awake to wish Magnus a happy new year in his time.

Izzy sent him the photos that she took and he skipped through them. God, he looked like shit on most of them. How was it that he was so not photogenic?

Short time after the clock hit three his phone buzzed.

Magnus had sent a photo of him, Catarina, Raphael and Ragnor. They all had crazy new year hats or glasses. Magnus himself wore a golden happy new year crown and smirked sexily to the camera.

He looked good. He looked so damn good.

‘Happy new year, Alexander’, Magnus had commented the photo with a kiss emoji afterwards.

Alec couldn’t hide a smile. He searched for a good photo of him and his friends and sent it to Magnus with the caption: ‘Happy new year, Mags.’ with a kiss emoji.

Smiling he closed his phone again and crawled between his bedsheets. He fell asleep with a huge smile on his face.