Kdrama Nightmare Part 1

What the hell?

That was the first thought that ran through Shay's mind when she got off the plane and saw the group waiting for her. This was her first trip to Korea and Shay had been very excited. She was going to be housesitting for her college buddy, which meant a safe location to live in while visiting a foreign country and it would save her money while she explored all the sites that she had seen in all the kdramas she loved. And while she did expect her friend to be waiting for her when she got off the plane, the TV film crew waiting for her wasn't.

"Shay Danes?" a woman asked in heavily accented English.

"Yes? Who are you and what is all this?" Shay asked nervously. Scenes from the movie Taken flashed through her mind, but she squashed those instantly. Nobody films an abduction with TV cameras.

The woman gave her a short bow, "Kim Eun Ji sent us to pick you up. There has been a change of plans in your living situation and we need to discuss some changes with you."

Shay was alarmed. "Can we discuss them here. I don't know you and I have no intention of going somewhere else until we get this cleared up." She was also aware that the camera had been filming her the whole time.

"Of course, come this way please." the woman led the way to a private room where they could talk.

As Shay sat down she looked at the rest of the people. There was a cameraman, 2 people who looked like assistants and the woman before her. As they sat down in the chairs the woman introduced herself.

"I"m Park Hye Rim, a PD at station KMO and if you could look at this please?" She handed Shay a tablet. Shay took the tablet and saw a video was loaded. Her friend was smiling in the paused image.

Taking a deep breath full of dread, she pressed play.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Shay. Don't be alarmed. You are not about to be kidnapped. I forgot to let you know one detail of your stay. The house you are staying in is being used for a reality show. Don't worry, it's not a big deal, just that you won't be alone in the house. I know you were hoping for privacy while you recovered from surgery but this way, I know you'll be safe and looked after while you are here. There is a separate room and bathroom at the house so you don't have to mix with the other people if you don't want to be on TV. Ms. Park will help you with all the finer details before you can go to the house. You have been my best friend for 15 years and I'm giving you this experience as my way of saying thank you for staying alive. You've beaten cancer and I just wanted to make a few of your Korean drama dreams come true. The other members of the household will be able to help make your stay so much fun. So, have a good time. I'll be back in 3 months and you can ring my neck then. Saranghae, Shay."

Shay looked up apprehensively. 'What kind of people are living in this house?"

Ms. Park put a small stack of papers in front of her. " It's a program that will show how people live together. Much like the show 'Roommates' but with a different premise."

"A different premise? How different?"

"There will be challenges they have to work together to complete. The show is designed to show how well strangers can work together. There are several people from different countries on the show. So, if you decide to take part, you will not be the only foreigner. These papers are a basic contract to protect you and the show."

Shay took the papers and looked them over. They were all in English and she looked at Ms. Park skeptically. "These don't say something different in the Korean version, do they?"

Ms. Park smiled, "They are legal and we can even have them notarized before taking you to the house if that would make you feel more secure".

Looking over the contract, it did look like Eun Ji was going to make sure she was taken care of. Shay was still apprehensive about this whole thing, but she didn't have any reason to believe Eun Ji would lie to her about this. Well... more than she had to get her on the plane to Korea.