•Chapter 22: A Story Told

Ariana's POV

Christmas has been a wonderful time and I was kinda sad to see it over however it's new years in a few days and I have convinced my dad and Remus to have a party for all the order members. But right now, well right now...I'm on my bedroom floor with my arm under my bed silently cursing.
"Where is it?" I mutters giving up and getting up. A knock on the door jolts me out of my houghts. It slightly opens and dad's head appears with a wolfish grin.
"Hey dad" I sighs as I push my hair from my face and sit on the edge of the bed.

"Alright pup? You've been hidden up here for a while and you had some colourful words coming out your mouth then" he laughs as padded across the bedroom and sat next to his daughter who looked down.

A small grin appears on my face for a few seconds before disappearing again.
"No. I can't find my locket" I sighs sadly. "I swear I had it yesterday but it's disappeared".
"Well it can't have gone far" dad reasons as he pats my leg, "want some help to find it?". I nod at him and I run my hand through my long hair in annoyance.

Me and dad spend the next ten minutes tearing my bedroom to shreds to find my locket when I have a thought.
"Dad?".
A quiet "Yeah" comes from him as he is on knees feeling under my desk.
"This room doesn't have a lock anymore does it".
"No. Why?" Dad says as he sits up. It takes him a second before he realises what I'm thinking and his eyes become slits with anger.

Downstairs in the kitchen the Weasleys, Hermione, Harry, Remus and Tonks are having some dinner when the door bursts open and me and dad come rushing in. I keep a hand on the door while dad rushes further into the kitchen.
"Mate, what's wrong?" Remus asks getting up from his chair as the room went quiet. No answer came from him as he pulls a cupboard open, reached inside and drags out the equivalent of a rag with ears and a scowl.

"KREACHER" dad roars at the house elf.
"Yes master" he sneers. I roll my eyes at him.
"Where's the locket?" He demands. Kreacher looks anywhere than his accuser and mumbles under his breath but everyone only caught "don't deserve" and "not pure". At this dad grabs him by the scruff of neck and repeats his sentence but gets pulled away from Kreacher by Mrs Weasley.
"Sirius Black really? He isn't always guilty" Mrs Weasley exclaims at him.
"We'll see about that" dad says under his breath before looking into the house elfs cupboard.
While this is happening Kreacher is edging his way to the door only for it to be slammed in his face by me. This causes everyone to jump. I reach down reaches into Kreachers pocket as he squirms to get away from me and I pull out the very locket I've been searching for all morning.
"Found in dad" I shout across the kitchen while glaring at the creature.
"Are you two serious?" Hermione says softly, "he didn't do anything wrong". These sentences causes the two Blacks to look at her in exaspiration.
"Hermione. He had the locket on him" my dad states getting up, "don't you dare start about him being innocent and crap".

"SIRIUS" Mrs Weasley shouts.

"No my dad's right. I'm sorry Hermione but this isn't the first time he's done this. He's always taking my mum's locket from me" I say from where I'm standing near the door.
"Your mum's?" George asks. I nod at him and head to the table. Dad wipes the dust off him and joins me and the others still sitting. Remus sits down with us after watching Kreacher slip out the kitchen when we were distracted.

"I still don't think you should have handled him like that" Hermione mutters. I roll my eyes as Fred tells her that, "herms we all love your morals but right now they are not appropriate".
Ron pats Hermione on the hand with is smile before turning to me and saying, "He nicked your mum's locket. Didn't you say she died or something?". I raise my eyebrows at him but before I can retort George saw my hair become tinged with red from anger and responded for me.
"No you idiot. She never mentioned her mum. Only you, on the first day you met her when she told you to mind your bloody business". I smiled in thanks to him before accepting the sandwich from Mrs Weasley. With that statement from George, my mum wasn't brought up again during the meal but it wouldn't leave my mind. I stayed quiet throughout dinner which I don't think anyone picked up on.... or so I thought.

About an hour later after another filling meal from Queen Weasley we headed our separate ways. I headed towards the study trying to remain unseen so I could be left alone. I went straight to a particular book which I had hidden from my dad as he doesn't like me looking at it. I pull out the heavy book, sit on one of the plush chairs infront of the fire, which I lit and opened the book.

And there she was.... my mum.

Smiling up at me from many pictures. Some she was alone, others with dad and his friends. They looked so happy. I was so absorbed by her that I didn't realise someone was in the room until a hand on my shoulder shocked me. I whip my head around to see George smiling down at me.
"Hey. After dinner you disappeared, you okay?" He asks. I nod but he doesn't believe me. I lets his hand slide of my shoulder and goes to sit on the chair opposite me.
"Is that your mum?" I points to the photo album. I nod before looking down at the beautiful woman again.
"Do you wanna talk about it?" He whispers to me. I shrug as I continue looking through the photos. That's how we sat for a while. Me looking at photos, George patiently waiting for me to talk.

After a bit I shocked him out his thoughts by saying, "I was an mistake".
"Huh?".
"I wasn't planned. Mum became pregnant with me straight out of hogwarts. At first I thought she had died when I was young but when I turned 11 Remus told me the truth. Said I needed to know". I paused and looked up at George,who was watching me in the light from the fire, was listening intensely to what I was saying.

"I wasn't planned, which I understood as most kids are" I laughed. "But most kids don't have their mum leave in the middle of the night leaving you with a dad who wasn't equipped for raising a infant".

"She left?" George questions. I nod, "Yeah. Left a note apparently. Something like she couldn't do it... have a child... so she left me with dad who only a few years later went away". I lift my locket from shirt and over my head. I pass it George and tell him to open it. It opens it and finds a picture of mum and me.
"Even though she left me I still miss her you know". George shuts the locket and comes to put the locket back around my neck.

I stop him by grabbing his wrist to keep him close.
"Ariana?" He questions. I quickly look around before saying, "I don't believe it".
"What?".
"I don't believe the story. I know I should but I don't".
"Ari your mum.." George started but I cut him off but getting up and pacing.
"I know it sounds insane. It is insane but I have this faint memory of her. My mum. Her standing over me and saying she loves me" I stop pacing and turn to George who has now stood up.
"Are you sure it wasn't a dream?" He doubts.
"You don't believe me" I state looking into the fire but George blocks it as he stands infront of me.
"I do. It's just... Why would Lupin say he's giving you the truth and then lie?".
"I don't know" I shrug before saying, "but something just doesn't add up you know". George nods before reaching to give me hug. I rest my chin on his shoulder then lean back to look him in his eyes, "please don't tell my dad what I just told you".
"I won't" he whispers before resting his forehead against mine and smiling. I smiled back before I went to kiss him in thanks.