Chapter Twelve

Lily's P.O.V.-

I glanced in the mirror one more time, sure that I was giving off the wrong impression. The dress Olivia had forced me into was too short and there was more make up on my face than the average mascara and occasional lipstick I was used to.

"You look great," Olivia cooed from behind me. "Black is definitely your color."

I rolled my eyes. "Who the heck has a party on a Monday night?"

"High school students on summer vacation," she said simply as she ran her fingers through her dark brown curls. All of her dresses looked alike, so the dress she forced me to borrow from her closet was just a black version of the red one she wore.

"Maybe I should change-"

"No, stop. That boy is literally going to fall victim at your feet when he sees you in that," she laughed. The problem with that, I didn't know if that's what I wanted Harry to do.

Of course I had been completely shocked when he hugged me back earlier, and maybe I was starting to get a little crush on him. That didn't matter, though. What mattered was that I was finally getting him to open up to me.

I would take what I could get when it came to Harry. His mood swings had been nearly nonexistent since our trip to that record shop, and I was grateful that we could finally have a normal conversation without him flipping out.

"Liam's here. I'll see you at the party," she told me, offering a small fake smile. She hadn't even offered to give me a ride, even though I told her how unsafe it was to be alone with a boy she had met only once before. She told me about how they met at the party we literally ran away from only two weeks before and had been texting nonstop ever since.

My phone rang only seconds after I watched the Mercedes Olivia had climbed into pull off down the street.

"Lillian," he said coolly through the phone. The accent caused tingles to run down my spine. I didn't even bother to roll my eyes at the use of my name.

"Harry- hi," I breathed. It came out almost desperate, causing me to clear my throat. "What's wrong?" I had the overwhelming feeling that he had called to cancel.

"I left early. Come outside." Sure enough, when I peeked out the window that stupid black pick up that I had gown to love was parked in front of the house.

I quickly hung up and dashed out of the front door. I tried to control my breathing as he watched me make my way to the passenger side. It wasn't so much him staring that caused my breath to hitch, it was the smirk that played on his pink lips.

"Thank you again, Harry," I told him as I fastened my seatbelt. "I'm just glad that I'll know at least one person there besides Olivia."

He didn't say anything at first. His eyes were too busy raking up and down my body, taking into full view how I looked. I felt my cheeks flush as his eyes stopped on my own , a sigh escaping his mouth only seconds later.

"Don't mention it. You said I could invite more people, yeah?" He asked, putting the car into drive and heading off down the street.

"If you wanted to," I mumbled. I was actually hoping he would just want to spend his time with me. All I got in response was a nod from him.

The silence felt like it was suffocating me as we drove. Harry was back in one of his moods and I wondered what could have caused the switch in the small amount of time we had been apart.