Chapter Forty- Six.

I didn't sleep well that night. I didn't sleep at all, actually. I woke up every half an hour, frantically searching for Lily who hadn't moved from her spot on my chest once. The hospital bed was rather uncomfortable, too, and the blankets were scratchy so that didn't really make things any better. Every so often she would go into a coughing fit and that would startle me awake, and I'd watch her for awhile just to make sure she was actually fine. The nurses even came to check on her a few times, each new one that walked in gave me a new puzzled expression.

She woke up at around ten, right after one of the doctors knocked loudly at the door. I shot him a glare, and he stared at me right back. She was sick, for gods sake, he needed to let her rest.

"Morning, Ms. James!" He chirped loudly. Lily groaned a little and buried her face into my chest. The doctor had a bald head and thick -framed glasses hung from his uniform.

"Morning Doctor," she said sleepily, wiping her eyes but not moving from my chest.

"How'd you sleep, sweetie?" He asked as he grabbed her arm and wrapped one of those stupid cuffs around it.

"Fine, I guess," she shrugged. Finally sitting up so he could check her vitals. I watched him flip her arms over to check on her IV's, each needle stuck into her arm had a nasty black bruise around it.

"Well I'd hope so. You looked rather comfortable with your, um, friend here."

"Boyfriend," she corrected him. "He's my boyfriend and he actually surprised me by coming in this morning."

The doctor looked me up and down for a moment. Then he looked back and forth between Lily and I for awhile before finally saying "That was a nice thing to do, I guess." What a prick.

I heard Lily suppress a scoff beside me, and I laughed a little before pulling her in to kiss the top of her head. The doctor stared at us, but didn't make any snide or rude comments, but his face obviously showed that he wanted to. I would have no problem hitting him right in the face if he had something to say.

"Another friend is in the waiting room, would you like me to send him in or..?" He asked, trailing off a bit.

"Not right now," she yawned, waving the doctor off with her hands. "I haven't seen my boyfriend here in almost a week. If they wanna see me that bad they'll come back later."

The doctor pursed his lips together and left the room with a nod.

"What a dick," she sighed as soon as the door closed behind him.

"Lillian!" I laughed. Lillian was the never the type to bad mouth anyone, what had gotten into her?

"What?" She defended herself, looking at me confused as if she didn't know what she had just said wasn't her. "Did you not see the way he was judging us? Come on. He totally thinks we fucked in this hospital bed!"

I shook my head at her, a smile on my lips as I bit on my lip ring. As much as Lily denied it sometimes, she had become more like me in the months that we spent together, just like I had become more like her. Before her, I couldn't imagine being nice to anyone, ever. I couldn't. But I read trained myself from hitting that doctor in the face just then, and if it were October again I wouldn't have had that kind of restraint. And she was like me in what she had just said. Lily used to never be able to say anything like that about someone.

"I love you," I told her, smiling.

"I know," she shrugged, a smile on her lips as well. She was rather feisty today. Before I could open my mouth to comment on it, her lips were on mine. She tangled her hands in my hair and tugged, eliciting a quiet moan that only made her smirk against my lips. She tried her hardest to get up and sit on my lap, but the restraints of the IV's kept discouraging her.