26: Your Lips Still Feel The Same

//

1997

//

The Order had camped out at the Forbidden Forest, right at the spot where Sirius could remember standing when Henrietta was sent back in time.

Sirius was fidgeting anxiously, unable to stay still. Remus sat beside him, propped up against a tree while sitting on a sleeping bag identical to Sirius'.

"Sirius, it'll be okay," Remus murmured reassuringly.

"You don't know that," Sirius muttered.

"True... but I'm almost definitely sure it will be," he replied. Sirius couldn't help but snort. "Oh Merlin, here comes the press conference."

Sirius frowned in confusion, then glanced up to see Harry had stood and was ambling towards them. The raven-haired man sighed quietly, preparing himself for the onslaught of questions.

What he didn't expect was Harry to say;

"Hi."

Sirius couldn't resist grinning again. The simple, meek word that came from Harry made him amused, mainly because he expected the exact opposite; a series of words being spoken too quickly to comprehend.

"Hey, pup," Sirius chuckled.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked worriedly. He plopped down on Sirius' free side, eyes locked onto him.

Sirius shrugged, honestly not sure how to answer.

"Uh, okay so I know you don't like all my questions--"

"I knew it was too good to be true," Remus grumbled. Sirius gave a laugh despite his nervousness, then turned to Harry when the boy continued speaking.

Harry glared at Remus jokingly, then asked, "Was she safe when Dumbledore sent her back? No injuries?"

"As far as I know, yes," Sirius murmured. "She was fine."

Claws came padding over, carrying a branch. The three males stared at the dragon incredulously.

"Does she seriously want to play fetch?" Harry asked.

Remus sighed. "Yup. And she won't leave us alone until we play." He reached for the branch, but Claws huffed and whacked him in the shoulder. "Hey!"

Sirius laughed, then reached for the branch. This time Claws let him take it, and he launched at as far as he could. The dragon took off, cheating with flight.

"Of course she wanted you to throw it," Remus grunted. "You have a better throw."

Claws came gliding back over, dropping the branch in Sirius' lap. The whole group watched the exchange, most of them looking in disbelief. A Devil Spawn playing fetch?

The sun began rising, reminding everyone that time was passing. Harry went back over to Hermione and Ron, starting up a conversation with them. Dumbledore was conversing with the Weasley parents, while their kids were off in their own conversations. Snape was with Dumbledore, silently brooding (but when was he not?). The other adults were in spontaneous spots, some sitting alone and others in groups.

Claws finally got worn out after Sirius threw the branch so many times his arm hurt. She was now curled up behind Sirius, tail wrapped around him. Despite her fatigue, she was alert, ear-fins perked up and eyes open.

"Ugh," came the groan of Ron. "How much longer?"

"Patience, Mr. We--"

"OH MY MERLIN!" Ron screeched.