Chapter 23: Every action has a reaction. pt. ii

Marcel snickered, crossing his arms again as he paced in front of Nick, "So, you're not going to tell me? I thought we were friends!"

Nicolas sighed, "What my father told you is the truth. I don't know why you don't just take my word for it."

Marcel smiled, putting a hand on Nicolas' shoulder, his eyes squinting at him, keeping a quiet demeanor, "Nick," he whispered, in an almost serious tone, "I'm your friend. I've been your friend for a long time now, huh? Not to mention I'm also a lawyer and I can recognize when one of my clients is lying to me. Clients I've known for a week or two. But you?" Marcel pressed his lips together, keeping a smile on his face.

Nicolas kept his stern look on his friend, not budging from the statements. Though after a second of silence, Nicolas smiled back, "Marcel, don't you have somewhere to be this morning? I'm sure being a lawyer is one hell of a job." he responded in a sarcastic tone.

Marcel frowned, dropping his hand from Nick's shoulder as he heard the door to the office open. Both males turned around to face the assistant who held two water bottles.

Marcel grinned at him, relieved that he had come back so fast. At first, Nicolas didn't let him talk since he had brought up a personal statement. Marcel could only hope that Seven would say something now, "Welcome back-"

"Marcel." Nick interrupted as he grabbed the water bottle from the PA who handed it to him. Seven eyed Marcel slightly, handing him the second bottle, "I brought one for you, too."

Marcel eyed Nick as he grabbed the bottle, "Thank. You. Seven." Marcel gave Nick a sly grin, almost mocking Nicolas. Marcel was in all honesty, a bit frustrated. After Marcel had left for law school, he felt his friendship had drifted slightly with Nick. Of course, coming back, it went back to normal. He knew most things, if not everything, about Nick. He knew how obedient Nicolas was to his father and never really questioned the orders he got from the chairman. Marcel would know when Nicolas was out of character compared to the Nick he's known. To put it from Marcel's perspective, Nicolas missed an important meeting with WebBaze, which could've made the chairman happy. Nicolas also referred to his assistant by his first name which he hardly does. The lie that the two have put out was that Seven was having bad anxiety during the donation event and that Nick had to take him out. To Marcel, actually... Nicolas has never been considerate of people's feelings. He was always so strict and if it were any of his former assistants, Nick would've said "deal with it" considering it was an important event. Marcel was a lawyer who came with fantastic thinking skills and putting puzzles together. It was no doubt to Nicolas that his friend will eventually find out what actually happened at the event.

"Took you long enough," Nicolas commented.

Marcel turned his attention to Seven who stood by them, staring at the CEO, "On another note, you never advised our good friend here, Seven. I want to hear what you have to say to him about his little marriage plans."

Nicolas scoffed, opening the bottle of water, "He doesn't have anything important to add to the situation."

Seven squinted at the CEO, almost angry. He started feeling a sense of pressure on his chest as if he was being stepped on. It was infuriating to have the weight on his chest. It reminded him of how everyone treated him in high school... as if he didn't have a voice of his own. When kids would bully him, talk over him, talk for him, ignore him. It was like Seven wasn't allowed to even say a single word about anything. Teachers would take the other kid's words as his own and not even bother to ask Ochoa about his thoughts.

"Am I even allowed to talk, Mr. Anderson?" Seven returned, tilting his head as his tone came off as sarcastic. Marcel raised an eyebrow at the comeback, a grin slowly appearing on his face at the way the assistant talked so boldly to Nick. For a split second, Marcel was relieved that someone could speak to Nick so carelessly. At first, he thought Seven was someone who would act formally no matter what. He believed that Seven was just another assistant who wanted a job that paid well and would take any damage no matter what. Hearing Nicolas throw him off at the mention of his aunt made Marcel confused as to how someone so 'formal' could be bothered so much by a personal topic. Seeing it now... hearing Seven stand up for his voice in a discussion was quite frankly something different.