Pain makes you do things

Gently, he ran his fingers through her hair, kissing the tip lightly. Lan Shang felt her heart flutter fast at the act. She never thought that someone would love her like this someday. Their kind were not known of having happy ending when it comes to love.

Mostly, it ends in tragedy. When she fell for Ka Suo and she saw him and Li Luo, she prepared herself. To be doomed for eternity. But then he came... Ya Lun. She closed her eyes when he leaned in to kiss her.

Earlier...

She was getting ready for bed when the door to her room opened forcefully. Entered a distressed Ya Lun. She could feel it even from the distance that was separating them.

"What's wrong?" she asked when he saw her and quickly pulled her into his arms. He didn't answer her. He just held her like that. So close as if afraid that she'll suddenly disappear without a trace.

"Ya Lun?"

His hold on her only tightened.

"You know that whatever it is. You can talk to me right?" She told him, making him look at her. Her eyes widened when she saw the tears but didn't comment on it. She just gently brushed them off.

"Lan Shang... I..." He started but didn't continue. He has a lot to say but his feelings were stopping him. So, he just acted.

Now...

Lan Shang moaned as he kissed her deeper. It was different. It was sweet and hot but also sad. Why? Her heart ached, holding him closer. Why? Why did it felt like... he's saying good bye?

"Ya Lun," She gasped when he pulled away. His eyes were glazed with yearning but he didn't continue.

"We should stop." He said, kissing her palm. "I promised your grandmother that I won't do anything until we're married."

She was about to retort when he stopped her. "Lan Shang... promise me that you'll take care of yourself and Shi."

"You're leaving?" She uttered in realization.

"Not yet but soon." He confirmed, raising his hand up. "Don't cry."

"How can I not cry, you idiot!? You just said that you're leaving soon!" Lan Shang growled, pushing him away. She loves him but right now she wants to strangle him.

"Why?" She then asked, meeting his sorrowful gaze.

"My tribe needs me." He simply said. In his mind, a sarcastic laugh filled it. Not believing that he just said that.

"And Shi and I don't?"

Ya Lun's eyes softened. Of course, they need him too especially Ying Kong Shi. His pregnant mate. However, if he didn't return, his father would search for him. He would find out who his mates are and use them to gain control of the three realms once more.

He would also use his child. No. He couldn't let that happen. He would do anything to protect them even if that means that they'd hate him.

"I'm sorry." He told her. "I'm really sorry."

Lan Shang sobbed, letting her tears fall. Love found, love lost. It hurts. She hated that he needed to leave but she wouldn't let him go that without taking anything.

Raising her hands up, she immobilized him.

"Lan Shang!"

She smiled bitterly, letting her clothing drop one by one as she slowly approached him.