4

The next few days, Bree worked with the Bricknicks- who repaired things, the Sloppers- who basically did any job no other glader wanted to do, and the Baggers, who acted as guards and dealt with bodies.

She had worked with the Cooks, Track-Hoes, Map-makers and Slicers (which was mildly disgusting.)

She only had two days left- the Med-Jacks, and Runners.

Today, she was with the Med-Jacks and was inside the Homestead with Clint, the keeper, learning how to wrap wounds.

Clint had shaggy brown hair, blue eyes and some freckles.

The other Med-Jack, Jeff, was in another part of the Homestead, doing who know's what.

"...and you tie it off... Like that!" Clint said, tying off a bandage.

Bree nodded and repeated the action Clint had previously demonstrated.

"Hey, I did it!" She said.

Bree was surprisingly good at this, which scared her. She didn't want to be a Med-Jack.

"CLINT!" A voice yelled.

They both jumped up and a glader called Mason ran in.

"What's wrong?" Clint said, immediately suspicious about the situation.

"Blake got stung out in the maze! We gotta hurry!" Mason said and ran out.

Clint yelled for Jeff and then ran out of the room.

A few seconds later he ran back in, grabbed Bree's arm and ran outside.

They ran over to the West wall and found the boy named Blake, who was drenched in sweat and breathing hard.

A few gladers were surrounding him, including Newt.

"Come on, get him to the Homestead, he's not that bloody heavy!" Newt was shouting at the gladers who were struggling.

Bree couldn't resist thinking how irresistible Newt looked.

As the gladers were dragging Blake to the Homestead, Clint jogged over to Newt, they talked for a few minutes, sometimes glancing at Bree.

That didn't give her a good feeling.

Clint jogged back over to Bree. "It's your lucky day, shank! You're going to get to see some of the changing."

"The changing?" She asked.

Clint nodded. "It's what some gladers go through when they get stung by grievers. Now come on!"

Clint dragged Bree back to the Homestead where Jeff was waiting with Blake, tied to a table.

Clint opened a cabinet and pulled out a syringe.

Jeff was talking in a low voice to Blake, who looked horrible. He was getting hives and his eyes were already bloodshot.

Clint walked over and injected Blake with the medicine.

"It's called the grief serum." Clint explained.

"If you get stung and we don't get this in you in time- you're gone."

After a few seconds, Blake went out like a light.

Clint got some gladers to move Blake into a different section of the Homestead- where they keep the sick and injured.

"If you thought that was bad, then you should see the rest of the changing." Clint said.

"I think I'm good." Bree replied. She'd had enough for one day.

"Ok, well go get dinner and thanks for helping!" Clint sent her on her way.

After dinner, Newt found her.

"Tomorrow's the last day." He said.

"Yeah." Bree replied.

"Anything you prefer?" He asked.

Bree looked at him. "I thought we didn't have a choice?"

Newt nodded. "You don't. But I might be able to put in a good word."

That got Bree's attention.

"You can do that? Won't that get you in trouble?" She asked.

"Yes, I can, and no, not really. Alby doesn't have to know." He answered.

Bree almost smiled. "Thanks." She said.

"You still haven't answered my question." Newt said.

Bree sighed. "I want to be a-" She got cut off.

"Don't say it. You really don't want to." Newt said.

"Why?" Bree questioned.

"Is it because you think I can't? Because I can. I can do-" She got cut off again.

"Anything we can do, I know." He said.

"Will you please stop cutting me-"

"Off?" Newt smirked. "Not a chance, green bean."

__________________________

A/N: sorry this one is short! I'll update again soon! And omfg wow thanks so much for over 100 reads! Last time I checked Wonderwall had 24 and now we're over 100! Thanks soo much!