14

The new route kind of messed her up a bit, because she wanted to turn right when she was actually supposed to turn left.

She didn't think it was much of a problem, though.

Bree turned left and down a long corridor.

She kept going then turned another left, and then a right.

Bree really hoped she could remember her way back, but she did remember the route she took with Minho that first day, so she was probably ok.

She took out her knife and cut some vines off the wall just to make sure.

After running at least two more hours, Bree started recognizing stains on the ground. It looked like blood.

She did remember that one of the runners had disappeared out here.

She knew it was probably a griever, unless he took his own life, which she doubt that he did.

As she ran, she kept getting progressively nervous.

She'd only seen a griever from a distance and what it could do to you, but she hadn't seen one up close and personal.

She didn't want to.

She reached the end of her route and sat down to eat lunch.

While she was eating, she took out her notebook and wrote down some notes.

The only thing that looked out of the ordinary was all of the blood.

She sighed as she put the notebook away and finished eating her sandwich.

It occurred to her that she ate a sandwich for lunch everyday.

She wondered when she'd get sick of it.

Bree wiped her hands on her pants and got up.

She slung her backpack over her shoulder and began running.

~

Bree was probably about halfway back to the glade when she heard it.

It was a quiet moaning sound.

It didn't seem quiet, since the only other thing she had heard was her breathing and her own footsteps.

She thought it could be Mike- the one who disappeared, so she decided to follow the noise.

She made sure she cut off a lot of vines just to make sure she could find her way back.

Left, right, straight, left, left, straight, right.

The noise was loud now and she ran straight, then turned a corner.

The moaning stopped, and Bree couldn't see anything there.

That's a little weird..

She looked around and saw nothing except the floor and walls.

Nothing.

She turned back around and ran back the way she came.

She came around the turn to notice the ivy was gone.

The ivy she cut off the walls was gone.

This day could get so much better..

Luckily it only to Bree about thirty minutes to get back onto her normal route.

She kept running.

~

Bree finally got back to the glade during the middle of dinner.

She ran straight into the map room and made her section for the day. After she was done, she put it in the trunk and literally ran to the kitchens to find Frypan had saved her some chicken and mashed potatoes.

She thanked him and then found her friends, almost done with their dinners, at a picnic table they sat at regularly.

She sat down next to Thomas.

"What took you so long? Get lost?" Minho asked her.

Bree shook her head. "You wouldn't believe it, but I thought I found Mike."

"Was he dead?" Chuck asked.

Bree shrugged. "Don't think so."

"Why didn't you bring him back?!" Minho yelled at her.

"I couldn't find him!" She countered.

Minho looked at her confused, along with Chuck and Thomas.

Even Newt looked up from his dinner to stare at her.

"What do you mean you couldn't find him?" Thomas asked.

"I started to see blood on the ground, then on my way back, I heard moaning. So I decided to follow it. I cut off vines so I could find my way back, but when I reached the spot where the moaning was loudest- it stopped. Nothing was there."

Minho scrunched his eyebrows together, as did the others. "That's really weird.."

Bree nodded. "And when I went to get back on my route, the vines I cut off were gone, so I had to get back with memory."

"All of the vines?" Thomas asked.

Bree nodded again. "It took me thirty minutes just to get back on the right path." She said.

"At least you're back." Newt muttered.

The others nodded.

"So, the blood, vines and moaning was the only thing you found different?" Minho asked.

"Yeah." Bree replied.

Minho sighed.

"You think I should try and find Mike tomorrow?" She asked.

Minho shook his head. "You'll probably run into a griever. Plus, no one survives the night anyway. If you hear moaning again, just ignore it."

Bree nodded. "Okay."

~

After dinner, she found Newt sitting by a tree.

She walked over to him and sat down.

Bree was the first to speak. "I'm sorry."

Newt looked up and shook his head. "I'm the one that should be sorry. I was being a real slinthead. I knew you could take it.. I just didn't want you to get hurt."

Bree shrugged. "You were right though."

Newt looked at her. "Huh?"

Bree showed him her hand, which had a very small cut on it.

"One of the vines was spiky."

Newt rolled his eyes. "Not what I meant, greenbean."

He was the only one that called her greenbean.

Bree shook her head. "You said I could've gotten hurt- I did!"

Newt smiled at her. "Ok, Bree. Whatever you say."

__________________________

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in awhile, I had writers block. THANKS SO MUCH FOR 1K READS YALL ARE SO GREAT I LOVE YOU!

Please comment and vote! Next chapter should be up in 1-3 days(: