7

Bree was eating lunch while pretending to listen to Chuck.

She just couldn't stop thinking what Newt had said to her.

She was still mad at him, but it was kind of nice to know that he cared about her that much.

"...and then Gally fell right on his face!" Chuck laughed. "He got so mad!"

Bree was playing with her food when Chuck tapped her arm. "Funny right?" He said.

"Uh huh." Was all she answered.

Chuck, satisfied with her reaction, launched into a new story about Gally, that would have been funny if she wasn't that deep in thought.

"And then- Hey! Bree! Are you even listening to me?" Chuck asked.

She almost didn't answer. "Mhm."

Chuck sighed. "If you're so mad about it then just go talk to Newt. You're no fun today, I'm leaving."

Chuck got up and walked away with his lunch.

"Wow you actually got him to go away." A voice said behind her.

She knew it was Newt before he sat down.

"What do you want." She said flatly without looking up.

"To eat." Was his reply.

After a few minutes of silence, Bree looked at him.

"I still can't believe you.. You knew how bad I wanted it... Even if you do care that doesn't mean you can protect me from everything! We just met!" She said.

Newt sighed and looked her in the eyes.

"Even if I wanted you to be a runner, it's to late now. The decision has already been made. Sorry." He said with a shrug.

Bree shook her head. "No."

Newt looked at her, a hint of annoyance laced his voice. "What do you mean 'no'?"

"I mean no." She replied.

"I'm not going to sit here and let them stop me from being what I want to be."

"It's not what you want. It's-" Bree cut him off.

"Order. I know. But I'm actually good at this. I'm good at running. I could actually do this." She said.

Newt looked down at his food. All he said was "Yeah."

They ate lunch in silence for the rest of the time.

It wasn't much of an awkward silence yet it still wasn't that comfortable to sit through.

Finally, it was time for her to start work.

It's not that she wanted to, she just wanted to think things through. It's not like the Med-Jacks are very busy. Unless the gladers are somehow so clumsy that they get hurt every day.

She doubted that would actually be true, because, well, the gladers have this whole community working to survive, but she bet there are at least a few clumsy, stupid people in the glade.

"So... What do you do all day?" She asked Clint.

"Well, we take care of sick people-like Blake- then if we have nothing to do we just wait till someone needs us." He replied casually.

"So basically what you're saying is that you sit around and wait for someone to get hurt or stung?" She replied.

Clint nodded. "Basically. Now come on, we have to go see Blake."

Clint got up from his seat and walked up a flight of stairs.

Bree followed him up the creaky wooden steps where you could hear Blake's screams.

When Bree reached the top of the steps, she wouldn't admit it but she was pretty winded.

Doesn't that happen to everyone?

She followed Clint down the hallway and they stopped outside a door.

The screams were definitely coming from that room.

Clint opened the door and motioned for Bree to go in.

She took a deep breath and stepped inside the dark room.

Clint was right behind her and he closed the squeaky door semi-quietly.

The room was dark, as the shades were closed, and it smelled musty.

The room was quite small, and it only had a bed, one chair, and a nightstand with a lamp on it.

Bree could make out a figure lying on the bed.

It was Blake- the runner- who looked absolutely horrid.

From what Bree could tell, his eyes were squeezed tightly together, and he was breathing hard, as if he had just ran the whole perimeter of the glade.

He was very pale and had hives that had a sickly green color to them.

Bree wasn't sickened by the sight, just mesmerized.

Blake was tied down to the bed with a strong rope to keep him from thrashing.

Clint walked over to the small table and picked up a bowl, then handed it to Bree.

"Feed him." He said.

Bree was taken back. "Feed him.. The screaming pale green hives kid? Him?"

Clint nodded.

"He won't jump up and try and kill you, promise." He tried to joke.

Bree brushed the comment off and went over the the bed.

Blake looked even worse as she got closer, he looked like a ghost with giant green chicken pox.

She carefully reached forward and slightly opened Blake's mouth.

Clint gave her a spoon and she dipped it in the bowl, gathering the warm soup on the silver spoon.

She slowly took it out of the bowl and put some of it in Blake's mouth.

He seemed to swallow it so she kept feeding him until the bowl was empty.

Clint went to go get some water for Blake, and just when he entered back into the dark room with a waiting Bree, a blood curdling scream was heard outside, and shouts broke out from all around the glade.

__________________________

A/N: Hey y'all! I might not update for a few days cause I'm really busy with cheer and I have a two day camp to go to soooo yeah. I'll try and update if I can! Vote and comment, thanks!