5

(A/N: Ok, so in this chapter is about runners. Now I doubt Minho would actually take her out in the maze, like he did Thomas because Thomas was actually being trained as a runner and Bree is just being tested, so sorry if this chapter is incorrect as what he would actually do?? I don't know so bear with me!)

"Get up, shank!"

That was the first thing Bree heard when she was woken up before the sun rose.

She looked to see Minho, standing before her.

"Come on! Let's go!" Minho pulled her up and they walked towards the south gate where the other runners were gathered, including Thomas.

"Now, we all know we're down a glader because our dear friend Blake, stupidly got stung by a griever. So, since I'm training Bree, here, two of you will have to take two sections. Get one done before lunch, and the other after, and make it back in time for dinner. Who's up for it?" Minho said.

No one volunteered.

"Wow, you guys do make this easy don't you?" Minho said, scanning the six teenagers in front of him.

After a few suspensful moments of silence, Minho decides for them.

"Greg and Leo, it's your lucky day! You will both be taking on two sections. Greg, take my section and Leo, take Blakes. now go pack your lunch." Minho commanded.

The teens obeyed and headed over Frypan's.

Minho turned to Bree.

"Today, I'm going to make you get in shape. You'll be doing workouts and basically running the whole time, I'll be watching and timing you. You get one break, and that's lunch."

Bree nodded.

~

After watching the runners head out of the gates and into the maze, Minho came over.

"Let's get to work. Start by running five laps around the perimeter of the glade. I'll be watching and timing you. Go."

Bree followed Minho's command and started running.

As she ran she could hear some of the gladers talking about her.

Some felt kind of sorry for her while others shouted mean comments. She could hear Chuck cheering her on, which only made her feel embarrassed.

After finishing the laps, she returned to Minho.

"Fifteen minutes. Not bad. Now go do one hundred jumping jacks, then sprint to the homestead, come back, and do it again, five times."

Bree was a little shocked at that. "Five?" She asked out of breath.

"Yes, five, now do it before I decide to tell the council you have no chance."

Bree huffed and started doing jumping jacks.

~

By the time Bree finished that, and by doing fifty push ups, seventy five sit ups, and more running, it was the end of the day.

She was sweaty and absolutely exhausted.

After dinner, she was talking to Thomas.

"So do you guys have a shower here or something or am I supposed to live with dry sweat on me?" She asked him.

Thomas laughed a little. "Yeah. We have showers. But you might want to pick an uninhabited bathroom because some guys here might want to join you.." He trailed off.

Bree could feel her face getting red.

"It's cool, Chuck and I will guard it- right Chuck?" Thomas said.

They both looked over at Chuck who was red in the face as well, but nodded quickly once the conversation was directed towards him.

"Ok, well let's go!" She said.

~

After locking herself in the bathroom, she started the water, took off all her clothes and stepped under the cold water.

The water was colder than she expected and felt like ice and nails beating its way into her skin.

She didn't take long, and hurried to dry off when she heard voices outside.

Bree's hair was still wet, and it didn't take long to put on Jean shorts, a tank top and a baggy long sleeve shirt.

She dried her hair the best she could and unlocked the door and walked outside.

"Took you long enough." Thomas said.

"It was only like, ten minutes!" Bree argued.

"Yes, and in those ten minutes I had to explain why I was blocking the door- to five different people." He said.

"Gee, sorry." She said sarcastically.

"Can you two stop whining? Let's get to bed already! The council decides Bree's job tomorrow!" Chuck said impatiently.

"That's right! They are giving me a job tomorrow." Bree thought.

By the time they had walked back to their sleeping spot, the moon was already glowing and the stars were shining brightly.

"Hey, guys," Chuck said.

Bree and Thomas both mumbled a "huh."

"Do you think we actually have families? Or the world outside is just.. I dunno.. Messed up?"

With a few silent seconds, Chuck looked over at Thomas and Bree, who were both fast asleep.

__________________________

A/N: omg what is this I updated the nexT DAY YAY! I'll write more so I can update more okk? Please vote and comment, it means a lot! Also, please keep in mind that they were trained before they were put into the maze, that's how she can do all of this physical exercise. (: