6

Bree woke up early the next day.

Every muscle in her body hurt, and she was so sore she could hardly move.

She got up anyway.

This was the day the council decides her job.

Newt had said he'd put in a good word for her, so she was hoping she'd get what she was hoping for.

She was pretty sure she'd even achieved the medal of actually annoying Chuck- who talked too much for one boy- by talking about how she wanted to be a runner basically every chance she got.

Chuck even got so annoyed he actually had to walk away.

Bree felt like that was a plus.

"Hey, Greenie! C'mon, it's time!" She recognized Minho's voice as she turned around.

He was motioning for her to go to the Homestead.

This was it.

Bree followed Minho to the Homestead in silence.

"So, you wait out here while we all discuss it. Then when we all agree and come to a decision, we'll call you in and tell you." Minho explained.

Bree nodded and walked over to a chair by the door.

Minho walked inside and closed the door.

Bree waited for what felt like seven hours, but it wasn't even close to lunch time.

Finally, Frypan opened the door and motioned her inside.

She sat in a single chair facing the boys in front of her.

She looked at all of the young teens, then caught Newt's gaze.

His expression was unreadable, and she couldn't tell if that was a good thing.

He looked away as Alby began to speak.

"Can the chosen keeper please claim this Greenie?" Alby said.

Clint, the med-jack stood and began speaking; "You're with me. Congrats on being a med-jack."

He sat back down.

Bree felt like throwing up.

She looked at Newt who wouldn't look at her no matter what.

"Now," Alby began. "You have to be sworn in. Do you understand?"

Bree nodded slowly.

"Do you swear that you will never leave the glade? For any purpose. You will never leave these walls?" He asked.

Bree wanted to say no, that she'd leave anyway, that she'd change their minds some how, but she didn't.

Bree took a deep breath and replied, "I swear."

"Good," Alby stood. "You'll start after lunch."

Alby and all the other keepers got up and left the room.

Bree hopped up from her seat and grabbed Newt's arm and pulled him back into the room before he could get too far away.

"What the hell was that?!" Bree asked, angry now.

"I apologize you didn't get what you wanted, Bree, but it was for the best." He said calmly.

This reaction surprised her.

"So you didn't even put in a good word? Like you said you would?" She asked, her temper rising.

"Oh, I did." Newt said.

"Just not what you wanted. You see, I said you would make a good med-jack. And the others followed in suit." He explained.

Bree was really mad now.

"Why, Newt?" She said.

"You know I want to be a runner more than anything and you go and tell them I should be a Med-jack? What is wrong with you?" She said, obviously very angry with him.

"I did it because-" Bree cut him off.

"Because you think I'd be better at it? Really?" She asked angrily.

New shook his head.

"That wasn't my reason." He said, his voice rising with every word.

"I did it because I bloody care about you, you shank! I don't want you going out there, I don't want to see you get hurt," He stepped closer to her.

"Or go through the changing," Even closer.

"Or even killed." He was right in front of her now. She could sense the sincerity in his voice and see it in his brown eyes.

"I don't want to see you traumatized by the maze." He looked down at the wooden floor.

"Just like I was." He murmured the last part and Bree could barely believe what she heard. Newt then walked off, leaving Bree to her thoughts.

__________________________

A/N: Hey guys! I just love the end of this chapter with cute little Newt! Anywho, thanks so much for all the votes! Keep it up!

PS HAVE YALL SEEN THE NEW TRAILER ITS SO GOOD AND OMG EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS GREAT IM SO EXCITED FOR THE MOVIE OMG