17

Bree was standing still, staring at it.

She wanted to move, but she couldn't, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't move.

It was like the griever was coming at her in slow motion, giving her time to think.

One thought came into her head.

It wasn't even nighttime yet. What's a griever doing out here?

Then she remembered. Minho said that they always came out at night, but that didn't mean they didn't come out during the day.

Bree then managed to actually register what was happening.

This huge monster was going to kill her if she didn't move now.

And probably, she'd have to keep running from it until the doors closed, so it wouldn't get lead into the glade.

That was in at least two hours.

The griever was getting closer with every passing second she stood there.

She had no other choice, so she ran.

Bree turned her back on the monster and bolted straight ahead.

She knew she'd have to pace herself if she wanted to survive the next two hours.

Maybe she could get it off track, but how?

Bree had been told that grievers were as dumb as klunk, but it's kind of hard to think of something on the run. No pun intended.

Bree just ran. She ran as fast as she could.

She heard the griever getting close behind her, and she ran even faster, adrenaline pumping through her veins.

Bree would admit it, adrenaline rushes were kind of addicting to her, even though she was being chased by a giant man eating monster.

Bree felt to frantic to think of a plan.

So she just kept running.

She checked her watch and noticed there was about an hour until the gates closed.

She couldn't keep this up, she had to lose the griever while remembering where she went.

She could easily get lost in the maze.

She turned right and went down a long corridor, the griever getting closer with every step she took.

She took out her knife and cut some ivy off the wall, still running full speed.

Her muscles were burning and her lungs desperately wanted air.

All she wanted was to stop running, but that wasn't a possibility.

Then she felt it.

A cold metal cuff had been clamped around her arm.

She looked back and the griever was right there, pulling on her with its mechanical arm.

She screamed, even if it would do anything.

The griever jerked her back, and she fell on top of its gross, squishy back.

She felt herself sinking into it, and she tried frantically to get out.

The more she struggled, the quickly she sank into its moist skin.

This was it. She couldn't get out of this one.

This griever was going to kill her.

She looked around, taking it all in, the high stone walls.. The sky... The vines...