Chapter 7: Perception

With the ANBU team off his tail Deidara settles down near a steady flowing river, which, seems to have started drying up due to the cracks in the soil and the heat of the morning sun. However, dry soil also has its perks as it includes clay beneath the many layers of earth. Perfect.

A gleeful looking Deidara wastes no time to spare as he begins refilling his pouch with clay which is close to empty. How fortunate it is for him to be surrounded in this rough area where it contains clay, unlike the countryside he was in three days prior where weeds are grown wildly, reaching up to the sky.

The two-weeks journey in the grassland was smooth, refreshing and, oddly for Deidara, peaceful. He had never felt at peace when he was in Iwa nor did he feel protected when surrounded by those from the Organization. Instead, he felt his life was in danger, even though he found joy in using his abilities to complete missions he was not at all at peace.

Perhaps it was the beauty in the way autumn leaves would soar in windy mornings, or the sound of raindrops singing to him as thunder crackles that calmed him more than ever before. Or perhaps it may be because he finally feels free of all possible danger - out here where no one has ever heard of him - or because there is no sign of any shinobi or civilian to ever live in the wilderness surrounded by giant trees, a wonderful waterfall that runs downstream and everything else is just plain flat surface with greenery, a variety of species of plants that grew here than in the great Land of Fire before it was all washed away to this barren land.

However, as peaceful as his time is there is work to be done, and Deidara once again questions himself: why was he sent on a solo mission whilst everyone else are on paired missions capturing the Bijuu? Am I being tested..? And the only way to know the truth?

There is no turning back now. 

Night falls and fortunately, Deidara takes refuge at the mouth of a cave, he is no longer stuck in the land of the unknown. Though, on a negative note, the young lad senses a familiar presence that has been pursuing him since the start of his journey. The presence always there but never seen. Except for one moment when Deidara was close to being captured by the ANBU, that moment was when he could feel the chakra signature the strongest. Was it close? No. Nor was it far, yet the energy was so strong and terrifying the blond knew for an instant who's chakra signature it was, but it was heated rush and all he could think of was how to escape their grasps.

The horror came back to him as his mind rushes back to the heavy energy the mere touch of the chakra gave off,  similar to the one a few years prior when he was forced to join Akatsuki.

Can it be...?

Unexpectedly, a frightening flash breaks across the sky in an instant, followed by the drumming of the heavy sky above. Lost in his old memories Deidara almost didn't react in time when a hooded figure stepped inside the cave, their chakra not as menacing as before however dangerous nonetheless. Rain starts to pour down as quickly as the lightning came which, luckily, woke the blond from his frozen state. He jumped back as soon as his peripheral vision caught sight of an unknown figure standing a few metres away from him.

Though he never shows his fears, never wanted the rest of the Organization to know how much of a frightened young boy at heart he is, this is the one time he let himself lose slip. His pupils dilated, frightened as he watch the hooded figure move closer to him while he himself is unsure whether to flee deeper into the cave or stand and fight this unknown shinobi. Was this mission suppose to be so dangerous that he is followed everywhere he goes? What exactly did Pain plan for him to do in this solo mission? A bait for the ANBU to catch? Was he merely a tool to be used and once lost its purpose he will be thrown away as easy as that? There is no way for him to know except to live another day to return to the basement and storm through Pain's door. Whatever Pain had planned, Deidara did not expect to be chased to the extent he barely has a gap of a day between each "hunt".

With a kunai in each hand the blond stands in his guard, preparing for close-range combat. His techniques are much more suitable in open areas however all there is, is a wall on either side and a deep tunnel which leads further into the cave. He is at a grave disadvantage.