Chapter 11: Fortuity

Deidara closes the bathroom door behind him after regaining his composure, leaning against it while eyeing his companion suspiciously. The Uchiha on the other hand, keeps his face still, though his mouth is slightly hanging in surprise from the blond's sudden entrance. Oh dear, the way he dressed himself in that striking robe loose on his shoulders with his hair falling over his shoulder damp and the few short strands sticking to the side of his face, his hair parted to the side like how he usually styles his hair making him look young and innocent. His robe will most likely absorb the humidity if he doesn't dry properly. A sight to see which Itachi does not want to forget. His beauty so spellbinding, so seductive yet able to retain the innocence within his eyes, Itachi is overwhelmed by how he looks he didn't consider the fact he is practically staring at him.

Suddenly his lips are dry.

"What are you staring at?" Deidara breaks the uncomfortable silence, feeling as though he is being judged for how he looks. Does he look that bad?

Itachi blinks several times before closing his mouth and swallowing a gulp he didn't realise is there, clearing his throat and peeling himself off the wall he was previously leaning on.

"Nothing." he says, averting his eyes to the floor between them, unsure of how to clear up this awkwardness between them until Deidara makes a move towards the couch, still clutching the towel in his hand, did he realise how well dressed he is compared to when they first arrived in the village.

"What's the occasion?" he questions, earning a look of confusion when he is about to dry his hair properly with the towel in hand.

"You. Dressed like this," he eyes him from head to toe, indicating exactly what he means.

"What's the occasion?"

He keeps silent for a moment, seeming to contemplate on his answer before opening his mouth.

"Nothing special." he says, shrugging, then adds, "Figured dressing up like this might help me get used to robes women would usually wear."

However, he then frowns, turning to face Itachi with a saddened expression.

"W-What do you think? Do I really look that bad? Should I change?" he questions, nervous, feeling insecure remembering the way he was being stared at him earlier.

He doesn't know what's gotten into him to suddenly have the confidence to ask such questions when just a few minutes ago he was surprised by Itachi's presence. He knows he still hates him but for the sake of this mission, lowering his wall of hate and caution might benefit them in finishing this mission sooner than the expected time he is given.

Itachi continues to gaze on, trailing his eyes from the end of the robe, up towards his youthful face which is replaced with an anxious expression. He rests his eyes in the deep blue ocean that gazes back at him, awaiting his response. So many words and compliments he wants to say but none appropriate for their partnership. He knows his feelings won't be reciprocated it will only create an unwanted tension between the two if they are to work together as a team now that he is involved in the other's mission.

He shakes his head slightly, a small tug at his lips.

"No need, you look..." Look what?

"... good in that robe." Way to go, Itachi.

He internally slaps himself. Is that really the best he has to say? He's never been more disappointed in himself than now.
Except the sigh of relief that replaced the frown on Deidara's face is enough confirmation that that small approval from him is enough to keep the younger's worries at bay. He is glad, of course.