chapter thirteen

chapter thirteen

I hopped up on the wooden counter in the cafe I was working part time on. My boss was literally paying me for keeping watch of the place and not because I am making business for him.

Like seriously? He should just shut this place down.

I tapped my finger against the wooden counter trying to a rhythm to soothe my boredom. I hummed against the beat of my finger. Heather was supposed to be here with me. But ever since she's been together with my brother - which is probably a week already - she has been ditching me for him.

She still makes time for me, but mostly they're for Henry.

"Heather," I groaned loudly, there's no one to hear me anyway. "Why pick the wrong day to take your day off." I ruffled my hair and gently banged my head against the wooden counter continuously.

"You'll get stupid if you keep on doing that."

I screamed my lungs out and lost my balance on the counter, threatening to fall down. I swear I could hear my tonsils crushing and going sore already. Cold arms wrapped themselves around my waist immediately, supporting my whole body before I fall down straight on the floor.

He chuckled and I felt my whole body vibrating against his. My eyes followed to where his hands leaded to and met his eyes - they were perfectly blue, bluer than mine even. His mousy brown hair seemed familiar though, and the way he smirks? Definitely familiar.

I gasped when he asked me if I was okay. I wriggled out of his arm and immediately let me go without word. "Erm," I started nervously. "How long have you been here?" I fiddled my fingers, hoping that he didn't hear my complaints.

His smirk grew larger. I swear I saw that one before. "Since the moment you were complaining about someone named Heather and picking the wrong date to take her time off?"

I felt myself burn in embarrassment. "Sorry that you had to hear that one," I mumbled. Why didn't I even hear the bells sticked on the door. It was supposed to ring when someone opens the door.

"If you're wondering why you didn't hear the bell sounds, maybe that's because you were too pre-occupied with this Heather guy," he said with a shrug. This guy is psychic.

"Girl, actually," I corrected.

He nodded, taking off his dark blue coat. "I suppose you're the one taking my order?" he asked as he pulled a chair in front of me and hanged his coat to the chair beside him. "And aren't high school students not allowed to work part-time?"

"The school already knows about me working part-time, not that my classmates know about it, well, except for Heather." I explained. Why am I telling a stranger my story? "And yeah, I'll be the one taking your order."

"Two coffees then," he said with a smile. I raised a brow at him, was he planning on drinking two? "I don't have a caffeine addiction, if that's what you're thinking, the other one is yours, it's not like you have other customers to attend to, do you?"

If I could get a queue to play the crickets' sound, then it would perfectly fit the situation. I laughed softly and muttered a yeah.

"Kaito," the mousy haired man suddenly said as I turned my back on him, heading towards the coffee maker. He raised a brow at me, as if asking what my name was.

"Schuyler," I replied with a smile as I turned my head to face his.

Kaito fiddled with the things on the counter as I prepared his order. He touched every single thing his eye could see there. I pushed the cup of coffee to the other side of the table.