chapter seventeen

chapter seventeen (Allen)

"---And I know the reason why is because I like you."

Schuyler stared at me like I was out of my mind. She opened her mouth to reply, but closes it immediately without any word coming out of her.

I already told myself reasons on why I shouldn't be feeling its way, but that's enough. I needed to face these feelings. I don't want to regret playing with her in the future. I needed to tell her.

But you don't have the guts to.

I know.

I need to search for that confidence in me so I could tell her. If she hears it from other people, then I won't be able to explain it to her. She wouldn't be able to hear the explanation from my side.

Then go tell her.

She suddenly let out a humorless laugh. "You already told me that before," she said. "No matter how many times you tell me that you like me, I don't think I'll have the soul to like you back, Allen."

My breathe hitched from her words. "Why?"

"I know what you do Allen," she declared.

Does she know about the dare?

"I know how you play with girls, isn't that why you have the name of a player?" she said, a little harshly. She rocked front and back on the balls of her feet. The rain was still falling hard, every drop seems to be in slow motion as she spoke. "I'll forget about these things, and maybe we could continue being friends."

I don't want to be only friends.

My feelings are sincere.

"I'm sorry."

She smiled one last time started walking away from me. My chest was aching, I never got rejected before. All this time I always had what I wanted. I always got the dare, but why couldn't I get her.

The dare was to make the girl fall for me, but I was the one who fell for her.

Who's going to catch me then?

- Schuyler -

I felt a tear pricked down my eye. I pounded a fist to my chest as I walked towards our cabin. The lights were shining brightly from the windows, lighting my way through the rain.

I did the right thing, didn't I?

Heather opened the door when I knocked three times consecutively. The room was shining brightly compared to outside. Heather gaped at me when she noticed my state. "What the hell happened to you!" she gasped. "You're going to take a bath immediately after Paul," she demanded.

I walked into the cabin, the warmth embracing me almost immediately. I shivered from my wet clothes. "You're going to tell me every single thing that happened." she said, glaring at me. "I know that you were with Allen this whole time."

It was just a game to him, I told myself. He's a player, there's no way that he will fall seriously for me.

I slide down near the door of the bathroom, concentrating on the sound of the pouring rain. No sound came into me aside from the sound of the rain. Was he still out there? I shook my head and tried to get him out of my thoughts.

I buried my face in my palms and closed my eyes tightly. The darkness was all I could see at first. But the next thing I saw as Allen, his face full of pain and sorrow. He tried to tell me something but I cut him off. What kind of a person am I?