Chapter 1: Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds, It Causes Them

A/N: I have finished updating the first few chapters of Unbelievable Circumstances and rather than wait and just publish the whole thing all at once, I will release the first five updates. Then I will update from there. The main themes from the story will remain the same, but several things have changed. I suggest rereading from the beginning before I update newer chapters. :)

Thank you to everyone who has read this story and put it on a reading list! I hope you enjoy the update!

- UnconsciouslyReading

_______________________________

Chapter 1: Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds, It Causes Them

"Students it is my greatest pleasure to welcome you to Hogwarts, you may call me Headmistress McGonagall. I will be taking over the late Headmaster Dumbledore's place."

Hermione kept fidgeting with her head girl badge and tried to wipe her hands on her robes to stop. She took in a large breath to ease her nerves. Voldemort was dead, school would be normal this year, completely normal. She drew her attention back to the headmistress.

"-as they both have had excellent marks all seven years at Hogwarts and will no doubt be model students for their houses this year. I will now introduce the new Head Boy and Head Girl. The new head boy will be Mr. Blaise Zabini from Slytherin!"

Hermione's eyes grew wide as she snapped her head toward the Slytherin table. Few people clapped in the great hall at the mention of Slytherin. Most were just clapping out of civility. He smirked and nodded toward the Headmistress and Hermione.

"And the new Head Girl will be Miss Hermione Granger from Gryffindor." The cheering began before McGonagall could even finish her name. She gave a wide awkward smile and shrugged her shoulders, looking back to the Slytherin table.

A very curious decision the headmistress had made.

************************************

The rest of the night went pleasant and Hermione found her room with ease. The portrait led straight into the living area, to the left a little book nook with two chairs, a large bookshelf, and a window that extended to the high ceiling. Strangely there were two floors in the dorm and the second one had an open layout so you could see the railing and hallway. Everything was neutral warm tones of brown and beige.

Back in her new room, Hermione had just finished unpacking, going over her new head duties, and created an itinerary of how the first prefects meeting should go. She smiled to herself and set down her quill just as she heard the portrait swing open.

"Hello?" She called out as she opened her door. "Zabini we haven't formally met yet and I would like to introduce myself properly." She grabbed the parchment and raced down the stairs, a bit eager if not anxious, to meet him. "I'm Hermione Granger it's nice-" as she walked into the common room her eyes landed on a tall pale boy standing straight "...you."

She stopped dead in her tracts at the bottom of the staircase. Her hand carefully grasping her wand in her pocket. His blond hair was unmistakable, and his pointed arrogant face unforgettable. His eyes shifted to her wrist knowingly and he raised his hands slightly.

"Malfoy, what the hell are you doing here?" She hissed, disgust and anger lacing her voice.

He opened his mouth to reply when another voice stepped into the room. "I believe that is my doing Hermione, Malfoy is my guest." The tall, olive-skinned Head Boy stepped around Draco and held out his hand. "It is a pleasure to finally get to meet you properly. Hearing your name is one thing, meeting the magnificent witch behind it is another."