Chapter 9: Oh Merlin & Morgana

Oh Malfoy, thank Morgana you caught her!" She heard Ginny exclaim.

"Draco! Put her down this instant!" She heard an older woman demand.

"Miss Granger are you alright?"

Hermione finally took her eyes off Draco and turned to view everyone around her. The quidditch tryouts had stopped and everyone had surrounded her worried. She started being lowered to her feet. When she looked back at Draco she saw that his eyes were back to their stormy grey. Her stomach ached from where the bludger had hit her and she let it drop to the ground.

She stood up straight and nodded in reply to McGonagall. "I-I'm fine everyone. My side and stomach do hurt a bit though. I think I'll walk myself over to the infirmary, please continue with your try-outs."

"Hermione, you can't just walk by yourself!" Ginny scolded as she started following.

"Yeah," Hermione swayed as she attempted to walk away. Her voice matched her wobble. "I- I can Gin I'm fine really. Carry On with yOUr tryouts."

The headmistress stopped Ginny at the end of the quidditch pitch. "Don't worry Miss Weasley, I will escort Miss Granger to the infirmary." The elderly woman turned to face her company and spoke quietly. "We will continue our meeting there."

Not one of the three attempted to argue with the Headmistress. Instead, they followed quietly after her back toward Hogwarts. Once they arrived at the infirmary McGonagall left the Malfoys outside of the doors to see her student be tended to.

________________________________________

Narcissa refused to look Draco in the eye.

The Headmistress opened the door cautiously and stepped out as though trying to minimize the sound. She let the door shut slowly behind her and stepped to the side. She pinched the bridge of her nose as she faced the mother and son.

"Now I will start with you Mister Malfoy, seeing as this is mainly your concern. What do you say was all that?" She asked in a tight disapproving voice.

Malfoy turned his eyes from his mother to McGonagall with a frown firmly on his face. "Professor, I wasn't exactly fully in control of my actions. It seemed instinctive. In fairness, I was somewhat close to the situation."

She squinted at him pensively, taking note of his selectiveness in his words. "Narcissa, you saw what I saw, yes?"

The other woman only gave a short nod.

"Mister Malfoy you were no closer than Miss Weasley was to Miss Granger on that field, yet you arrived at her several yards before Miss Weasley could. Do you know why?"

He ground his teeth and exhaled harshly. "I would assume it had to do with a possible magical enhancement because of my veela nature."

"I know your intelligence Mister Malfoy, you know even with the slightly enhanced speed your nature gives you, you should not have made it there in time to catch Miss Granger before she hit the ground, let alone before Miss Weasley could grab her."

"What are you saying, professor?"

"I'm saying that that speed is only available to veela in dire life-threatening situations that involve either themselves...or their mate."

Narcissa gasped and covered her mouth in shock.

Draco's eyes widened and he took a step back shaking his head. "No, you must be mistaken."

"Oh dear, Draco, she's right." Narcissa finally looked at him. Her eyebrows drew in ever slightly. "Your eyes were fully black when you caught that girl in your arms. I'm so glad only me and the Headmistress had been close enough to see. Otherwise, that whole team would know your lineage."

Draco continued to shake his head slightly and crossed his arms. "No, no that can't be. I understand that I eventually will need to find a mate, but I would've never picked her. No."

"Mister Malfoy, you don't get to pick your mate," McGonagall said quietly.

He whipped his head toward her.

"The wizard does not pick the mate Mister Malfoy, the Veela does. The Veela has always been a part of you, taking note of your interactions with people, your chemistry, your emotions, and your interests. Your Veela has seemed to pick Miss Granger."

He knew Hermione Granger was his mate. He wasn't that thick to assume otherwise, especially after the other night. And yet, he was hesitant to admit it out loud, let alone to his mother. There was still some part of him that was clinging onto the hope that he was wrong.

Draco chuckled and unfolded his arms to place his hands in his pockets. "No, sorry that is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as when you told me I was half a senile bird. I don't believe it. I just did a nice thing solely based on instinct. Someone was falling and I saved them, that's all."

The Headmistress sucked in her cheek and looked down at their feet. She brought her gaze back to Draco and smirked. "Malfoy, are you aware that you are the only one in front of the doors to the infirmary right now. That you are practically pressed completely back to them."

Draco's confidence dropped. He looked behind him and nodded his head. He was the only one directly in front of the doors. His mother and McGonagall were several feet to the sides of him.

He shrugged his shoulders, "so?"

His mother slapped his arm for the remark.

"Draco you know Veela are very protective of their mate especially when injured! Don't be daft, I raised you better."

McGonagall chucked and tipped her head forward toward Draco. "So Mister Malfoy, start the clock. You found your mate in ample time. Now you just have to get her to accept."

She left the Malfoys with that and sauntered away.

Narcissa huffed and turned toward her son. "Well, you heard your Headmistress Draco, get to it."

Draco gaped at his mother's bluntness. "Mother, do you not care that she's a muggleborn?"

Narcissa raised her hands in defense. "Muggleborn, Veela, at this point my Dragon, as long as I end up with a healthy grandchild, I will be happy."

"But-"

She walked over and kissed the top of his hair and squished his face. "I believe in you, show her that good old Malfoy men charm, son."

She turned and went the same way the Headmistress had left.

Draco was left there to gape at this turn of events. He groaned and ran his hands through his hair. He walked away from the door to the wall and slid toward the floor.

His last hope was gone, she was his mate. There were too many coincidences. First the contact, then his maturing, then the bathroom, and now the quidditch pitch. Still, the whole thing seemed inconceivable. His mate whom he was to love was Hermione Granger.

"My chance at true happiness, pfft." He tapped his foot and crossed his arms. "Merlin's saggy tits I am going to actually have to try to get Granger to fall in love with me if I want to live." He muttered to himself. "Fuck!"

A/N: Ha turns out I did not abandon this fic lol. Life has been extremely hard unfortunately but thanks to everyone who has continued to read this fic. I now want to finish it out of spite so... stay tuned I guess? love ya! And I do genuinely enjoy reading the comments so comment away! :)