Chapter 8: The Book, The Witch, and The Quidditch Pitch

The Gryffindor table was in chaos during breakfast. Quidditch tryouts were today. Ginny was captain this year and looked hopefully over the classes below hers. The bookworm clanging cups, plates, and forks pulled her attention away from her future teammates.

She furrowed her brows shook her head. "Hermione, What did your toast do to you? You're supposed to use the knife to spread butter not to stab it."

Hermione glared up from her plate. Then looked down on the destroyed piece of bread and pouted. "Sorry, it's that stupid prat. He's just so...horrible."

Ginny frowned and took a bite from her breakfast in thought. "Well, it's the end of the week you don't have to spend any time with him that you don't need to. Hang out with me instead. I'm holding try-outs you can be there for support!"

Hermione looked hesitant but forced a smile. "That sounds like fun Gin."

Ginny beamed "that's amazing! Oh, I missed Harry this season and even my brother, but as long as you're there it won't be as bad. It isn't until 3 pm, so we could do something you like."

Hermione's smile became sincere, and she reached into her bag to pull out her book and put it on the dining table. "I've been researching some stuff from this book lately. I know it's fictional, but Blaise said it was written by a real witch. I'd love to know more about her and the characters."

Ginny groaned and looked at the other books Hermione started pulling out of her bag. "I guess I did say anything you wanted."

____________________

A grey owl pecked incessantly at the window till Draco woke up. He rolled his eyes and stretched in his bed. Turning to his side, he got out of the bed and trudged toward the pecking.

He grabbed the letter from the bird and waved it off. He rubbed his red eyes before reading it.

Draco,

I am coming to meet with your headmistress to further discuss your condition. I have carefully created a plan I wish everyone to follow to ensure that you have the best possible life that a mate can bring you. You will know more at the meeting. Be ready by 1 pm sharp.

Sincerely,

Your Mother

He balled up the paper and tossed it into the trashcan across the room. He checked his watch and sighed only four hours left till he's trapped in another life or death situation.

_____________________

Hermione and Ginny were lounging in the library. Hermione was deeply enthralled by the book Professor Zimbaya had given her. Ginny had her book opened on her forehead while she sat on the floor, slumped against the couch armrest.

"Hermione this is really boring. Couldn't we have done anything else? Like makeovers, gossip, or even hex Slytherin prats? That could be fun."

Hermione chuckled and stopped reading. "Ah yes, this is practically torture." She closed her book and crisscrossed her legs on the couch. "How about we do some light gossiping then. Anything to report?"

The redhead smiled up and closed her book as well. "Don't get me wrong this research is fascinating, as if I needed to be more grossed out by my brothers, I have found five new ways his wife shows him appreciation." They both grimaced.

"Sorry Gin. If it helps, technically she's only a quarter veela. So really Bill might not have been her mate, but he also didn't need to be. She might not do any of the things they say. Only half if not full veela do."