Chapter 14: Try Me

Draco was surer than ever about what he had to do.

The night was filled with sobs and whispers. He faintly felt the ache in his mate's heart, and knew that he was the root of it. Or at least thought he knew. He wasn't going to ask her the reason for her tears-- for fear of bringing more. He let her sleep in the next day, making sure to take good notes.

But yes, Draco Malfoy had a plan that he was certain he must follow through. THe following Friday was a trip to Hogsmeade. Draco planned on scheduling a visit to his mother instead. He had to speak with her in person, but he also had a mission. Now Draco wasn't stupid, so he told one person part of his plan.

"Lake Parime, why the bloody hell are you going there?" Blaise asked as they walked toward the doors that led out of Hogwarts.

Draco shook his head, "I can't tell you." Blaise crossed his arms and held a deadpan expression. Draco looked at him and rolled his eyes. "You won't like it."

"Try me."

Draco licked his lips and scratched the back of his neck. "I need a cup from the lake for a potion. I need the potion for a... important spell."

"And why is the spell so important Drake?"

"It's uhh... It's ...itstogetridofmyveelahalf" he mumbled.

"A little louder Draco, I'm getting old" he quipped.

"I found the spell in a rare book on Veela, the spell and potion will let be able to rip my Veela half from my human half."

Blaise's eyebrows shot up and he yanked Draco to the side of the door. "Draco you have five seconds to tell me why the bloody hell you think tearing your veela half out is a good idea."

Draco shook his head and looked down at the floor. "I can't, I just.... can't. Its better this way-- especially in the long run" he finished as he started pulling his bag to the apparition point outside of Hogwarts.

"Draco!" Blaise called after the retreating figure. "Did you even think about what this would do to her?"

Draco dropped his head, after all  she was the reason he wanted to do this.

___________________________

Hermione toyed with the handle of the glass that held her unfinished butterbeer. She sat to the side of the leaky cauldron in a booth by herself on the chilly autumn afternoon. For once, Hermione didn't feel like thinking, she practically didn't feel anything. It was the strangest thing for her, her senses had diminished these last days. The night before she ran a fever that felt like it was boiling her insides-- that's what brought her out. The nurse said she should spend more time outside and enjoy the cool air.

So she sat.  A group of fourth years shuffled in and took a table close by. She looked over at the table and saw a girl with curly blonde hair take a swig of butterbeer.

"Blimey Penelope, you'd pass as an alcoholic" the brunette across from her said astonished.

"Shut it Daniel. Now what was important," she finished with another swig.

The boy with flat brown hair-- whom she presumed to be Daniel-- rolled his eyes and looked at the dark haired girl next to him. "Update her, she hasn't been here" she explained in a soft voice.

"Five more in the last two days."

Penelope stopped mid sip in her drink. "How is no one talking about this? Why did the missing reports stop?" She lowered her voice so much Hermione had to nudge a little closer to the edge of her booth.