Chapter 2: Someone Woke Up In The Wrong Bed

"Madam Pomphrey please help! Something is wrong with Draco."

The older witch jumped in surprise at someone already in danger on the first day. "Mr. Malfoy, why it's no surprise with his track record. Just set him down on the cot. I'll handle it from here."

The three boys set him on a cot. The two that had helped left immediately. Blaise, ever loyal, stayed at his side. "He's running a fever and is unresponsive."

Madam Pomphrey pressed her lips in a tight line and waved her wand across his figure.

Blaise grimaced as he watched as his friend groan and twist on the cot. "Do you- do you know what's wrong with him?"

She shushed him and waved him away. "Has Mr. Malfoy had any peculiar altercations recently?" He shook his head. "Hmm, never the less your friend will be fine. Mr. Zabini, go and fetch Professor McGonagall for me immediately."

Blaise nodded curtly and turned quickly on his feet.

"It has been quite some time since we've had one of his kind at the school. Haven't seen one since I was apprenticing to work here." Madam Pomphrey whispered.

She and McGonagall stood at the foot of Draco's cot, staring at the deathly pale boy now lying still.

"Yes, such a pity, to bear this curse nearly a year after the war."

She shook her head in dismay "every time I think I've seen it all, these students toss something else my way." They chuckled in remembrance.

McGonagall walked over to the now sweating boy and reached out to examine his hand. She hissed the moment she touched him and pulled back her hand. "You're sure that's what this is? Do we know what's caused it? Has he even managed any contact with his mate?"

The nurse grimaced and nodded her head. "I'm positive. I don't know if he's made contact and if that caused it yet. If so, she's probably running a fever right about now. Or showing symptoms of dizziness, headache, or more."

The doors to the medical wing swung open violently as a determined red-headed witch kicked them open. She had one of Hermione's arms thrown around her and was dragging her in. "Hi Poppy, Minvera, hope your day is well."

They gaped as she continued to drag her friend in and plopped her onto a bed across the room from the only other patient.

"Miss Weasley!" Madam Pomphrey gasped.

"One of the fifth years in the common room were practicing spells and accidentally crushed her with one of her textbooks." Ginny finally explained. "I always knew those books were dangerous. Was only about time before they started hitting back."

The professor raised a brow but shook her head. "Our conversation will have to continue another time Poppy." With a bow, she left the room.

"As you were saying, Miss Weasley?"

"She was hit with a giant book. At first, she was a bit dizzy, then when she stood she nearly toppled over. Seemed a bit dramatic at first but I thought it was best to bring her here."

The nurse walked to the other side of the room and turned Hermione's face from side to side. She felt her neck then forehead motherly. "She seems to just have a slight fever and a bump on her head. She'll be back to normal in the morning."

"That's good then. I'll just stay here."

The nurse looked at Ginny with sympathy. "Miss Weasley it's ok. I promise I'll keep her safe. You should go back to your dorm and rest up."

Her feet stayed firmly on the ground as she looked her over. She glanced back to the nurse and nodded hesitantly. "Ok, I'll just...I'll go, but I'll be back tomorrow morning."