Chapter 3: Some Clouds have Gold Linings

"Oh dear, that poor girl."

******************************

"What's going on? What happened to me?  Why am I in the hospital wing?" Draco began flooding them with questions which the professor silenced with the flick of her hand.

"Mr. Malfoy, I am Professor Zimbaya, the new potions instructor. And you have been transforming for the past three days, give or take a few. Before you ask any more questions, were you aware of this?"

Draco shook his head.

"Okay, I'll lend you some books later. The just of it is that you seem to be a magical creature, a veela They are very sweet, romantic creatures that live to satisfy their mate. Their mate is whom fate has deemed to be their soulmate. It is someone who completes them, compliments their character, and will help them be the best version of themselves. Once a veela's blood has awoken they begin to seek out their mate. Their life is now tethered to that person. That person whether they agree or disagree holds that veela's life in their hands. Speaking of which, you have about a year to find them."

Draco waited till she finished and asked calmly, "Is this some sort of joke? Do you have a twisted sense of humor?"

Professor Zimbaya looked questioningly to McGonagall before shaking her head no.

"Right." He put his feet to the side of the bed and got off the cot. "You all are batshit crazy I am leaving now."

"Mister Malfoy stop we have to continue discussing this" McGonagall scolded.

He turned sharply and raised his finger. "We have nothing left to discuss here Headmistress. Unless you want to tell me that both of you found Dumbledore's secret stash in a drawer. I know for a fact that I am one-hundred percent a pureblooded wizard. Even if my lineage is questionable; it's certain. Hell, it's documented!"

"Mister Malfoy!" McGonagall shouted. "You will do well to remember that I am the reason you're allowed to be here. I do not have all day."

"I don't care if you're the headmistress, and I don't care if she's my head of house!" He snapped back. "There's no way in this bloody world that I am some magical creature doormat!" His face started becoming red and his blonde hair stood up all around. "I refuse to believe that everything I prided myself on as a child wasn't real! Or that I suddenly woke up here and transformed into a bloody bird!"

The two older witches looked at each other and held their wands cautiously. Professor Zimbaya stepped up. She patted her dark green robe nervously.

"There's nothing to be worked up about young Malfoy. This is your chance at true happiness. You are one of the few people that will be able to find a soul mate and live happily. The person you were going to meet one way or another, but now you will be certain and never let them go."

He stared at her intensely breathing hard. Slowly the red faded from his face, and he stood straight. He clenched his left fist but other than that he visibly calmed. "Even if I did believe you, why on earth would I want this life?"

The headmistress patted Zimbaya's shoulder to take the lead. "For as long as I've known you, Mr.Malfoy, you have always been self-preserving. Not cowardly, not courageous, but smart, observant. I don't think you'd let something as little as this change that."

He dropped his fist and stuck one hand into his pocket. He looked at his feet thinking of words to say then looked up at them. "So, what now?"

The professor sighed exasperatedly, "I have other affairs to check on, a fourth-year has been skipping classes. I believe Professor Zimbaya can guide you the rest of the way."