Chapter 6: Curiosity Killed the Cat

Hermione's mind was whirling in the morning. She didn't know what had come over her. Sure she was nice and always ready to help people, but never that nice. It would do best to not think to hard on last night she supposed.

She looked at the clock on her dresser and groaned. She'd slept in and missed breakfast. At least it was Friday and she didn't have any classes. She plopped back onto her bed and grabbed some cookies to munch on from her nightstand. Keeping treats scattered was something she'd picked up from Ron after the war. He preferred to eat his emotions, unlike her.

She walked over to her desk and pulled out a piece of parchment. The boys hardly wrote to her now that they were Aurors in training. She rubbed her thumb over the grainy paper and sighed. They hadn't even replied to the last letter she wrote. She set it down and paced her floor.

"I need a new hobby." She said to herself.

She grabbed her book and headed down the stairs. For so many years she was obsessed with learning, mysteries, and helping her friends not die. She didn't know what to do with herself. She found Blaise sitting in a chair, leaning over a plate in the living room. She did a double-take.

"Are those my chicken nuggets?"

He looked up mid-bite and quickly chewed then swallowed. His lips slowly spread into a meek smile. "Good morning Granger didn't know you were here."

Her brows drew in together, she blinked several times. Slack-jawed she asked, "how did you even know how to make them? It's muggle food."

He sat up straighter and set the half chicken nugget down. "I know how to read and am more than competent enough to use an oven. The bag also had pictures."

She giggled and took a seat on the couch left of him. "You should have asked me I would have let you."

"I didn't think you would notice."

She shrugged and nodded. "Slytherin true to form. Give me four since it is mine."

He handed her his napkin and passed four over. "They really are quite good. Honestly, I don't know how muggles came up with this. I have to hand it to them, it's brilliant."

She nodded and started eating one. "You should grab ketchup I have in there if you really want your mind blown."

His eyes lit up with child-like awe and he ran swiftly to the kitchen. She hummed with amusement and continued eating.

"Oh, fucking Merlin this is good." He said dipping another nugget in the ketchup. "This is incredible. You could kill me right now and I could be ok with it."

She laughed again and leaned over to snag another one.

"What are you doing in the dorm at noon anyways Granger? Don't you have to be worshiped by those Gryffindors around now? Or does that only happen within certain office hours?"

She rolled her eyes and leaned back. " Yes, I like to give them a break for school, gives the professors a chance to try to teach them something new."

He gave her a half-grin and set the empty plate down, leaning back into the plush chair. "Seriously though I've never seen you just relax. Now that tweedle-red and tweedle-scar are gone who are you going to save?"

She averted her eyes and picked at her nails. "I really don't know" she mumbled. "I don't know what to do now that we're free. It's the strangest thing."

He gave her a pensive look. "Well, you've got a brain. Just find something new to solve or even research into. You can't possibly know everything in the world."