Chapter 10 The Veela's Mate

Hermione lay flat on her back as she thought about her predicament. She was falling. She was going to be very injured. She is currently not injured because Draco Malfoy caught her. His eyes were black then they were gray.

"Why were his eyes black?" She whispered to herself.

She thought about what she knew about magical creatures. Normal wizards' eyes don't change so he had to be part magical creature. What magical creature can change their eyes? Vampires' eyes can change hue while in blood lust, but that's red, not black. The Luplin gene creates a golden hue in the Iris. The full black eye belongs to...

The door creaked open. Malfoy took a step in hesitantly and glanced around the room. She sat up. He saw her and seemed to perk. He walked briskly toward her cot.

"You're ok!" He said as though he were relieved.

He seemed pleased to see her alive and well. He didn't smile, but he wasn't scowling either. There was something else in his face. The way his eyebrows drew in together almost worried. His eyes flitted across her, her arms, her face, her skin, as though searching for anything distressing.

How did he even reach her so quickly?

"As alright as someone falling off a broom several feet in the air can be," she replied sarcastically.

The corner of his mouth rose into an almost half smile. Something about him, as he looked at her he had a sort of glow. Suddenly it all clicked.

"I mean I'm glad you're not hurt Granger, especially after I nearly put myself at risk trying to catch you." He corrected. "A lot of damage that would do to me if you had broken bones."

"You're a veela aren't you?"

He halted at the edge of her bed. "Excuse me?"

"Malfoy, you're a veela. Aren't you?" She asked again.

He licked his lips. "I see, because I'm Draco Malfoy I can't do a simple kind act like rescue you without there being another reason."

"Well, yes. There almost always is some sort of benefit for you. Wasn't that quite literally what you were saying the other day about being indebted? Is that it? Was this your way of paying it off? You use your enhanced speed to save me?"

"I don't have enhanced speed, and I'm not a veela. Look, I know I'm handsome Granger but I didn't think you hit your head hard enough to admit it."

She groaned and shook her head."You're insufferable. Why are you even here Malfoy? Come to check on the filthy mudblood freak who has no place in this world?"

He stepped back and looked down. "I never really apologize Granger, but that should've never been said. I truly regret using those words toward you."

Hermione scoffed and bit the inside of her cheek.

"Don't say more empty words Malfoy, I don't have the capacity to entertain them today."

"I am being genuine Granger, trying to do some good."

"Oh, I doubt you know what that even means."

"And yet I saved your life when no one else could. Which you have yet to say thank you for by the way."

Hermione's eyes grew wide and her lips pinched. " I will hex you."

He held his hands up in surrender. "We'll call it even then yeah?"

She sighed.

Draco dipped his head and turned toward the doors.

"Thank you"