(unedited) Chapter 12: Forgiveness & Forgetfulness

"Ginny calm down, what do you know?" Hermione asked.

"I know what Malfoy is and-"

"Confundus" Draco whispered.

"-water truffalos can't fly." Ginny scrunched her face and shook her head.

Hermione looked side to side and then back at her friend. "Water truffalos can't fly, correct but ...not important."

She tried to calm Ginny while Ginny continued to babble nonsense. Draco made his way around the bookshelf and back a few paces. He lingered by three fourth years talking about the news. "Another wizard went missing. Is it a coincidence? I think not!"

"Will you shut your mouth? You don't even think when you talk. Voldemort was defeated, they captured all the death eaters, or at least most..."

"It's probably one just trying to tie up loose ends."

"Don't be so cynical Penelope; it doesn't say they're dead!"

Draco was about to ask them about the newspaper but focused on the problem at hand. Once he was closer to the entrance of the library he started walking directly toward the girls. He traded his smirk for a plain disinterested façade.

"Evening She-weasel, Hermione" he greeted.

Hermione rolled her eyes disapproving; Ginny seemed even more fueled. "It's Weasley to you Malfoy, oh wait, are you still called that? Or has your family disowned you since you've tainted their blood, veela."

He growled at her and narrowed his eyes. Hermione saw his grey eyes beginning to be swirled with black and stepped in. "Ok how about we discuss this back at the heads dorm kay?"

Neither one dared to break eye contact. Hermione grabbed them both by the arm and yanked them toward the exit. She quickened their pace and turned into a hallway. She grabbed the handle to a door and quickly checked the inside; a second later she pulled them both in. When Draco wouldn't stop glaring she flicked him in the head. He winced and looked at her surprised, but the black quickly dissipated.

Ginny opened her mouth to speak but Hermione held up her hand. "Draco's a veela, I'm his mate. I refuse to let another person die after the war if it can be stopped, so I accepted. Only McGonagall, Zimbaya, Pomphrey, and Zabini know. He has until his birthday for us to finish the process."

Draco dropped his head as he waited for the judgement call. Ginny stuck her tongue into her cheek and put her hands on her hips. Finally she rolled her eyes and turned to face him. "You are a right arse Malfoy, anyone else would've let you die." She looked at Hermione then back to Draco, "lucky for you 'Mione isn't everyone. You better not step a toe or feather out of line."

Hermione hugged her friend tightly and Draco chuckled. He looked around the classroom and then at the teacher's desk. Transfigurations, hmm... He made his way up to the desk and sat on the comfortable chair as the girls chatted.

His eyes skimmed past several pieces of parchment and a few textbooks. He seemed drawn to one particular letter folded with a familiar insignia. He picked it up and examined it. The last time he saw the symbol was when he had to have been no more than ten.

To the 8th Year Professors at Hogwarts,

It is my greatest pleasure to assure you that your lack of guidance will not remain that way for long. Do not worry, for all I ask of you is simple. If you follow these orders you will remain unharmed...

"Draco" Hermione called. He pulled his eyes from the parchment. "Did you hear? We have to start heading back to our rooms and do our rounds."

He nodded his head and quickly folded the paper and hid it in his robe. "Right okay, best to get going then."