Chapter 4

Maria pov
I got bored with Harley, Joker, and Mr. And Mrs. Plant. So I went to Metropolis for a change of scenery.

I got bored with the dark alleys and hiding out in warehouses. I wanted to hide in plain sight.

I broke into Lex Luther's office. I sat in his chair till he and his bodyguard Mercy returned.

"Zodiac what a surprise." Lex said.

"It's Nightingale." I said as I got up.

"What are you doing here?" Lex asked.

"I wanna do Mayhem in plain sight. I wanna reck havoc yet still have protection." I said.

"You came to the right place." Lex said.

"The Planet is the heart of this city. If you can get me a job there I can spy for you." I said.

"I can do that." Lex said.

"But you'll be to recognizable, you'll need a disguise." Lex said. I smiled.

"What's my story?" I asked.

"You're a journalist, your last job was for a newspaper called Nowhere News in Nowhere, Nebraska. You were their best reporter before the paper went belly up." Lex said as a makeup artist applied severe burn scars make up on the right side of my face.

"What's with the scars?" I asked.

"You were caught in a fire at a young age and it deformed your face. So you always keep Bandages over your face to hide them. The makeup is laced with lead so Superman can't see past it." Lex said.

The makeup artist put bandages over the makeup and then started applying burn makeup to my hands.

I put an over sized Sweater on. I put my thumbs through the holes at the end of my sleeves. Lex brought me a wig that looked like it was from a costume store.

"So that's what the bald cap was for." I said as I put the wig on.

•••

I rode the subway to the Daily Planet. I got off the subway and saw Clark and Lois. I got off in a different car and followed them.

They got coffee and I went up behind Clark and he turned quickly and spilled his coffee on my sweater.

"I am so sorry." He said as he grabbed napkins and tried to dry it off.

"It's fine," I said as I grabbed a napkins and dried myself off.

"I guess this is how I start my first day at the Planet." I said.

"Well welcome to the team. I'm Lois Kent, this is my husband Clark Kent." Lois said as she shook my hand.

"Mary Kay." I said as I shook her hand.

We went inside and I went into Perry White's office.

"Who are you?" He yelled.

"I'm.... I'm Mary Kay, I worked as a reporter at the Nowhere News in Nowhere, Nebraska." I said acting timidly, but Perry White was just a mortal man.

"Another Farm girl. The Kents will train you, and what's with the bandages?" He asked.

"I was in a fire when I was young. I got third degree burns all over my body, they're really ugly so I keep them covered." I said as I pulled on my sleeves to hide the "scars" on my hands.

"We'll get to work!" Perry yelled.

I ran out and I ran into Clark again. This time I dropped my portfolio, and we both crouched down to pick up my papers.