Chapter 8

Maria pov
I felt like a leaf shaking on a branch. Tonight was the first night I was going out on patrol alone. Dick and I had this system, that I would do a night of patrol, and he'd stay home and give me information while watching the kids And vise versa.

I ran after one of Blockbuster's goons. He ran out on the pier and I chased him. Tourist screamed. I looked around for another danger but saw none. The goon punched me in the jaw and I went flying.

"You want to play hard?" I asked as I spit out a part of my tooth.

I said a spell and I levitated. I flew toward him and tackled him. I put my boot on his chance. A glass bottle hit me from behind. I turned and saw I saw the tourist who had thrown the bottle.

"You Witch!" He yelled.

Another bottle hit me. "Nightwing, civilians are attacking me." I radioed as I avoided another bottle.

The goon ran off, I tried to go after him, but the mob prevented me. I took a grappling arrow and fired it and repelled onto a rooftop. I ran across the roof.

For the rest of the night everyone in the city was looking for me. I eventually made it back to my apartment and Dick had stayed up all night waiting for me. I climbed into our room, Dick hugged me.

"They hate me." I started crying.

"It's okay," he held me.

"I'll go out the next few nights till they calm down then we'll try it again." Dick kissed my head.

"Give them more time, we can keep going out together. Maybe that will ease them excepting you again." Dick suggested.

"Alright," I nodded.

A week later Zodiac was wanted as criminal. They were stopping any woman with dark hair with a lot of tattoos. I started waking up three hours earlier, and covering my tattoos with makeup before I got Jamie and Justice ready for day care. I was working at a newspaper and Every article I was assigned, I had to drag my own name through the mud. Dick kept saying how unhealthy it was but we needed the money. Dick's cross fit classes were making some money but not enough to sustain us and at my job. If you refused an article, you would be fired on the sight. We needed this job, so I had to keep going.

I laid on my bed, Jamie came in and climbed in top of me.

"Are you okay Mommy?" She Asked.

"No sweetie, I'm not." I said.

"Why?" She Asked.

"People don't like me." I said.

"I like you Mommy." Jamie said. I smiled and hugged her.

"Thank you sweetie." I kissed her head.

"Zodiac do you want back in the saddle?" Clark radioed me.

"I would love too but I'm currently wanted as a criminal." I said sitting up.

"Only in New Jersey, Come to Metropolis." He said.

"But I've got a job and kids." I said.

"Just for the weekend." Clark said.

"I'll come." I said. I got up and got Zodiac out of the closet.

"Dick, I'm going to Metropolis." I called.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because Zodiac Can actually do some good there, that she can't do here." I said.

"What about your job and the kids?" He asked.

"Only on weekends." I said. He nodded.

"I think that could work. I'll call Kaldur and have him watch the kids when I'm on patrol." Dick said. I kissed his cheek.

"Alright, Thank you for letting me do this." I said.

•••

I ran down the bridge towards the crash. Connor jumped on it and shook te bridge.

"Warning next time." I radioed.

Connor grabbed the end of the bus and held tight to it. I climbed on him and opened the emergency exit.

"Alright kids, quickly get off the bus." I said.

I helped the kids off but te driver was still at the front unable to climb out. I took an arrow and fired it at the support beam of the bridge. and I tied myself to the rope. I slowly made my way down to him.

"Hurry!" Connor yelled.

I got to the driver. "Come on, I'm going to get you out." I said.

"No stay away from me!" He yelled. A look of terror in his eyes.

"Please don't hurt me." He said.

"I'm not, just take my hand and I'll get you out. The kids are all safe." I said.

"I don't trust you." He yelled. The bus shifted and Connor yelled out.

"Come on," I reached for him but he punched me.

I grabbed on him and he pushed me away. He fell back against the glass.

"Sir be very careful, take my hand and no one dies." I said.

The bus shifted again and I reached for him but the glass cracked.

"Don't hurt the children." I said.

"I'm not going to hurt anyone." I said reaching for him. I grabbed him and he bit my wrist.

The buss started falling and I started saying a spell but the man punched me.

"No magic!" He yelled.

"I'm letting go!" Connor yelled.

I made a final attempt to grab the man and I pinned his arms to his side. He screamed and kicked as the started falling into the water. Connor pulled us up and I had the man over the edge but he kicked me over and cut my safety line. I yelled my flying spell as I fell. It activated and I flew to the bridge.

"That wasn't nice," I said.

The man ran at me and we both went over the side of the bridge. I flew back up and Connor pulled him off me.

"Run Zodiac!" He yelled. I flew back to the roof of the Daily Planet. Not even here did they except me.

___________________________
A/n: Hope you enjoyed this chapter. So fair warning. I will not have my phone most of Sunday, all of  Monday and majority of Tuesday. So don't expect an up date. I'll try to post tomorrow Thought
-Zodiac