2: Your Name

You decided to tell him your name.

"Y/N," you said with a bit of hesitation, leaving your cold, hard expression on your face. No weakness was to be shown down here. Nothing should leak through. This guy just wanted attention. He obviously didn't understand that no one down here got any. It was a keep-to-yourself kind of place that didn't care what you had to say or think.

Namjoon nodded, thinking to himself for a few moments. Your eyes kept trailing back to that lesion on his cheek. What kind of fight did he get into? Maybe he struggled while getting into the Underground. Maybe they took him against his will. Did they kill off his family? Take them in for torture. You only knew two things about this guy: his name was Namjoon and he had some sort of intelligence to get him in here.

Surprising you, Namjoon reached out his hand, pushing your chair back over to its original spot with its wheels. This almost made you laugh; almost. Namjoon's eyes went back to the cameras, ignoring you completely. "Alright. Time for work."

You were a bit shocked. No more questions? He was just ending your little encounter just like that? You felt yourself starting to ask him if he needed anything else, but you kept your mouth shut. There was cameras in the Camera Room. It was ironic, but it was true. Exiting the room everyday, you saw little cameras in the corners of the room. They were always watching you. You didn't know who, but they were.

You turned back to your cameras, your eyes fixing on the one on the one-third of the screen that was on the bottom. Your eyes were begging to look back over at the guy sitting next to you, but you forced yourself to keep them away. You couldn't have yourself staring at him. The Camera Guards would think of you as a suspicion. The guy would feel weird. Best to keep your eyes on your screen.

With the camera you were looking at, you could see kids running around, having fun. You were focused in on the main plaza. The statue of the king stood over, not even looking like the king from a fairy tale. He was just a young man with a business suit on. Kids ran around his feet, teenagers loitering around the place. Adults lingered about, carrying bags and holding onto small children's hands. 

You had been to the plaza a few times. Your house sat on the outside of town, so coming to the main central of the city was a huge deal. You were small then. Everything was so big. It was all amazing and wonderful. You now got to watch the kids play around there, smiling and laughing. No one really knew about the Underground. It was a legend throughout the town, some people saying that to their kids to scare them so they wouldn't run off. If only they knew.

Everyday when you lived in the city, you would take the bus to the main plaza, going to school. School stopped when you turned sixteen. Before you could graduate, though, you would have to take a test. It was mainly propaganda and a few academic questions, but the test was fine. You never got to know your score. It went straight to the capital. That little test score determined your job in the city.

You never knew what you got on your test. All you knew was after those days after the test, one of the personal ambassadors of the king came to your doorstep, telling you to go with him. He said to not even pack your bags. Of course you were terrified. You knew you were going to have to leave your parents house after school ended, but the personal ambassador of the king? That was unheard of.

You didn't know if your family was dead. You never knew what even happened to them after you left them. The dumb government was the reason why you were now an emotionless robot. You were not compacted down to nothing, becoming something you never thought you would be. Your sanity could only come down to nothing. When would you be free from this place?

You shook off all those thoughts. Dwelling on the past wasn't something to do in your free time. You couldn't think about the ones you used to love. You couldn't imagine your life without them. You bit your lip, turning back to your screens. Only a few more hours. A few more hours until you could leave.