Halliwell Manor Kitchen- The Next Morning

"Morning Piper, morning Leo, morning Phoebe," Paige mumbled as she took her place at the table. "Morning, Paige," Phoebe began brightly. "Boy, you're up early this morning."

"Uh, Phoebs, you might want to tone it down a bit," Piper said quietly. "Paige, are you still sick? You don't look so good," she finished, reaching out to feel Paige's forehead. "I'm fine!" Paige snapped as she backed away. "Lay off. Be a mother to Melinda, not me."

"Boy, you're sure crabby when you're sick," Piper replied. "I'm fine!" Paige insisted through clenched teeth. "I'm sorry," she said in the next instant. "Really, I'm fine. I'm just missing Dave already, and he hasn't even been gone for twenty-four hours!" she finished, as her eyes filled with tears.

"Honey, I know you miss him," Phoebe said as she gave Paige a hug. "Believe it or not, even though Cole forced us to vanquish him once and for all, I still miss him, sometimes." Paige pulled away from Phoebe, openly sobbing, and choked, "I'm sorry, Phoebe, but I don't want to be touched right now...no offense," she added, seeing the hurt look on Phoebe's face. "No, I understand," said Phoebe quietly. "Piper doesn't like to be babied when she's sick, either," she added, looking in her big sister's direction, then glaring at Leo as he let out a contradictory snort. Piper gave Paige a sympathetic look and rested her hands protectively on her tummy. "Just remember, we're here if you need us, honey," Phoebe finished.

"Thanks, guys," Paige said quietly. She then pushed her chair away from the table. "Are you okay?" Phoebe asked. "Fine," Paige replied, rolling her eyes. "I'm just not hungry yet... I'm going to go for a walk. Maybe it'll help me to clear my head." She then looked in Leo's direction and asked, "How long did it take before the chatter in your head stopped bothering you? I don't think I'll ever get used to it," she added. "It'll take awhile, Paige," he replied quietly." Don't worry, though. The Elders will only give you what they think you can deal with. As you get used to it, they'll add more tasks, but I wouldn't worry too much... You're a very compassionate person, and I see you doing a lot of good for the world."

Suddenly, blue and white lights shimmered above Paige's head. "Yi, it's the Elders," Paige said nervously. "Don't panic, Paige," Leo said. "Until you're able to sort out the chatter, they'll summon you so you know who needs your help."

"Okay, Paige replied, still looking frightened. "Wish me luck." Without waiting for a response, she orbed herself up to the Elders.

Halliwell Manor-Two Weeks Later

"Paige?" Piper asked, looking up at her youngest sister. "What?" Paige asked. "Just wondering... What made you decide to become a social worker?" Piper asked. "Why do you ask?" Paige replied warily. "Why are you being so evasive?" Piper asked. "I just never thought you cared..." Paige responded. "Well, you're my sister, and I feel like I hardly know you," Piper replied. "I don't know why you think I wouldn't care, honey."

"I guess I decided to become a social worker when my adoptive parents were killed..." She paused for a breath, and her eyes filled with tears. Piper had just opened her mouth to apologize, when Paige continued speaking.

"After being bounced through the system until I was eighteen, I decided I wanted to help kids in trouble. Some of the foster parents I had... well, they weren't the greatest... I had foster mothers who wanted me more for "show" than the fact that I was a human being. They'd tell me I was pretty, and then fix me up with the sons of their country club friends. Those sons are a whole different story... Ninety percent of them had never been in the presence of a female, apparently. The boarding school crowd, I guess you could call them. They'd show up to pick me up, and once they had met my foster parents and made nice conversation with them, it was like talking to a wall when I was alone with them... As for my foster fathers, maybe it was a blessing that they couldn't, well, "breed," so to speak. I was sexually molested and also raped by a few of them," she finished, as her tears began to flow full force.