Chapter 18: Not Much Help

"So... let me get this straight." Jake begun. "You need us to help you get those items in order to get Simon back?" He asked. You nodded.
"Will you? I feel so lonely in this strange new world, and I need someone to help me survive it. Someone I've known for years." You said.
"Woah... this person is deep man." Finn whispered to Jake. "Alright, we'll help you Y/N!"

You looked at the list again, and read the first item out loud. "Ice King's crown, given not stolen." You turned to the two boys. "How are we going get Ice King to give us that crown?" You wondered.
"I think I know how, but you're not going to like it
Y/N..." Jake sighed.

...

Finn and Jake dropped you off at the Ice Kingdom. The ice hand wrote something in the snow. "Remember, that's me you're talking to!" It said.
"Sure doesn't seem like it." You muttered.

You walked up the long pathway to the castle entrance. "Hey Simon, do you have any other plans besides Jake's?" You asked. The hand gave you a thumbs down. "Thanks." You said sarcastically.

Ice King had not noticed your arrival. He was reading a story to some princesses. You could've sworn you heard your name mentioned in the story. "Now he's writing about me? I can't wait to get you back Simon." You whispered. You casually entered the icy tower and leaned against one of the walls.

"Hey Ice King." You greeted. The ring began shaking. Was Simon really that scared for you?
"Hey..." Ice King replied while slowly putting the book away. The princesses looked at you in shock.

"So, you decided to visit!" Ice King jumped up. "Finally someone that I don't have to kidnap." He muttered.
"You still kidnapped me once, Ice King." You reminded him. Ring Simon nudged you, and you remembered what you needed to do. You let out a long sigh.

"Ice King, I don't understand why you still kidnap princesses. We're engaged." You tried your hardest to make it sound convincing, but the statement was obviously forced. Maybe not to Ice King though.

"And couples don't make other relationships, or cheat. They stick with each other, no matter what. On an awful day, they're there for each other." Your lie slowly became reality. "I had to deal with that... a long time ago." You said. Ice King looked guilty.
"Umm..." was all he could say. Did you go too deep?

"Your majesties, I recommend you leave while I've got him thinking." You whispered to the princesses. They thanked you and scampered out. "Hey Ice King, I may not like you as much now... but trust me and lend me your crown. You still have a chance." You requested. Ice King hesitated, then handed it to you.

"Anything for you, princess."

Your jaw dropped, all of the memories of that name flooding back. You took the crown. "Thank you, Simon."
———————————————————————————
"Hey Y/N!" Someone called out. You looked over to see Simon running up to you. You smiled at him. As he got closer, you noticed something in his hands. You walked closer to him, hearing the sounds of crinkling autumn leaves beneath you.

"I hope you like it..." Simon said while fidgeting with the lid of the box. You opened it to reveal a tiara resembling the crown Simon was getting next year. "When I get that crown, you can be my queen. We can match!" He joked.
"Aww, you didn't have to make this..." you said.

"Anything for you, princess."

You hugged him. "Thank you, Simon."
———————————————————————————
"So he just flat out gave it to you?" Finn asked.
"Yeah..." you trailed off. You were so overwhelmed by the past at this moment that you could barely speak. You knew that Ice King had just called you a princess and didn't know about the nickname, but it still melted your heart.

"So what's next on the list?" Jake asked. You looked at the list. "An item of the past, when you, Marceline and Simon roamed together."

An idea popped into your head. "Hambo."