Chapter 31

Hunter's POV

1 1/2 years earlier.

"Where is she, King?" Was the first thing I heard when I answered Bella's phone.

"Not telling you," I answered and smirked.

"Tell me or else."

"Or else what?" I heard him groan.

"Just let me know where she is goddammit. She is my girlfriend."

"Hospital," I answered before hanging up. 10 minutes later he arrived and as soon as we saw each other I left. I can't be in the same room as the guy who stole my girl. Yes, my girl.

Bella is beautiful and I was going to have her. But no he just had to have that stupid interview. Now she is all over him. Listening to the conversation she had with Tyler was the worst moment of my life. Hearing her call him baby and babe. Why can't she be calling me that?

And I made her cry. I should have never told her to go on that little 'mission.' Maybe then I would be the one calling her baby and babe.

...

"What's this Bella?" I asked and held up the file Bella just dropped on my desk.

"I'm quitting."  This is all Carter's fault. Those threats when he first had the interview. The threats are all still possible. I can arrange everything.

"You're what?"

"Quitting. Mr. King. Find a new assistant. Someone who isn't me." I will never find another assistant. Even though she drooled over almost every single employee here she was a good assistant.

"But Bella."

"Don't 'but Bella' me. You made me choose my love life and job. Of course, I am choosing my love life. So I'm quitting." She turned and walked out before I could say anything else to her. It was like she was my girlfriend and broke up with me. 

Seeing her leave compared to when all the other girls leave made me feel something in my heart. Something I haven't felt in a long time.

...

1 1/2 years later

Day after day. Girl after girl. Sunday through Saturday. The same routine. The media only catches one of my many girls every now and then and I know Bella sees it. I went to visit her a few days after she quit, but her old neighbor told me she moved out with her boyfriend. I think his name was Jeff or something.

"You're mail, sir." My butler handed me a stack of mail. If flipped through until one caught my eye.

You're Invited! Come to this year's annual Winter Ball.

I sighed. This is for couples. People who have someone in their lives. Not me a lonely fucking bitch who couldn't get a woman because she left for a different man who is less rich.

I turned it over and read the back where it had all the details and shit.

You don't have to come with someone.

It's like they read my mind. I'm going because you know who I'll see there? Bella. No doubt she either be with her friend, Lenny, or her boyfriend. Mr. Steal my girl.

...

I fixed my tie and checked myself in the mirror. I fixed my collar and looked at myself. Just stared. I found a comb and put my hair the way it used to be when I was around Bella. I knew she secretly liked the way my hair was.

I walked downstairs and got into my limo. Alone. Like always.

I grabbed some wine and poured myself a glass or ten.

When I got to the venue, there were tons of news and paparazzi people everywhere. They were mainly focused on one couple though. I opened my door and stepped out. Everyone turned their attention to me of course. When a few people finally moved, I saw who the couple was. They were kissing right in front of everyone. God, I wish that was me and Bella.

"Bella," I whispered under my breath. She was beautiful. Her dress made her look even better than she already looked. She looked right at me and we made eye contact. Then her pathetic excuse for a boyfriend put his arm around her and dragged her inside.

As soon as they were inside, tons of people came up to me asking questions. I ignored most of them.

"Do you love anyone?"

"What is your relationship status?"

"Why did Miss Amore quit working for you?"

"Why are you alone?"

"I am fucking alone because the girl I want is with some other fucking man!" I shouted. Everyone was quiet for a second and then everything went back to the way it was before. I pushed past people and made my way inside. Well, I'll definitely be on the cover of tomorrow's magazine. Or will it be the 'cutest couple' of 2018?

•Edited•