First Trip

Since Papa Hector had a wide tour with Ernesto de la Cruz, we only had three cities to visit before he died.

Our first stop was Concula, Jalisco, southwest of Guadalajara.

"This city's nickname is called La Cuna del Mariachi."

I read through the travel brochure I had received. Miguel's face beamed "No wonder that was his first destination. It's the birthplace of the mariachis!" I shrugged as I noted the pictures of the city.

Miguel and I sat beside each other while our families sat behind us or across us, it was only a two seat and the two of us...well, we want to discuss some things.

And not the way others are thinking.

"What do you think will happen once we find Papa Hector?"

Miguel asked and I shrugged in reply "We'll see how it ends as long as we musician and dancer stick together" Miguel and I did our secret fist bump.

"I find it cute. Seeing those two together" Rodrigo, Angelita's Papa said with a smile. Elena crossed her arms and sighed.

"Young Love...siempre el caso de cualquier niño con un flechazo"

Elena said with a small smile until the train came to a stop. Miguel and I hastily got out of the train and marvelled at the sight.

"Come on you two, this is no time for sight seeing. We need to find a dead músico"

Elena called out and we all proceeded to the cemeteries and nearby churches that held records of those who have died.

Since this was a birthplace of the mariachis, it wasn't a surprise to find ourselves surrounded by a lot of mariachis.

And by a lot I mean...really lots of music being played.

My Abuelito and Miguel's Abuelita were both getting annoyed by the constant music while Miguel and I were either dancing together or Miguel unstrapped the skeletal white guitar from his back and play along.

"Disculpe, ¿nos puede decir dónde -"

Mama began to ask a random person when it was interrupted by the sound of a violin being played in a high pitched tune.

"With these people into music, we'll never find the cemetery!"

I said with a sigh though I tap danced to the beat of every music I heard.

But I'd prefer Miguel's music over them.

"Dance with me Señorita!"

I heard someone yell out but I didn't bother to know who that person was asking.

I was beginning to regret that.

I was suddenly grabbed and pulled away into the crowd surrounding a mariachi band. I heard the voices of Miguel, his family and mine calling out to me.

"Hey! Get get your hands of me!"

I screamed and I tried to pull my hand away when I was suddenly in the center of a dance.

"You can dance yes?"

My gaze went to my captor and saw it was a young boy about my height but no more three years younger than me.

I nodded before I was suddenly pulled close to him "Then come dance with me!" Despite my protest and slight tugging, this guy was literally guiding me to the center and twirling me around.

Now I know how Mama Imelda feels.

I thought with a grunt when he pulled me a bit too close to his chest. In my opinion, I prefer to tap dance with my partner a few feet away from me.

Miguel would be the exception.

I immediately slapped myself. What the heck was I thinking?! Maybe the heat got through me?

The song finally ended and my vision was a blur from all the twirling.

"That was fun yes?"

I gave a sloppy smile at the guy. Was it just me or did his face suddenly became too close?

"¡Oye! Get your hands AND face off her!"

I was suddenly yanked away from the guy to a familiar kid with a single dimpled smile "Hola Miguel, I didn't know you had a twin brother...he's cute" I said with a drunken smile.

Abuelito came forward and managed to slap my vision sharp. I shook my head as my vision cleared and glared sharply at the boy.

"What was all that about?! Pulling uninterested girls to the dancefloor?!"

The boy shrugged "It only happens once Señorita. What boy would give to dance with a beauty like you" With a bow, he left me in a flushed mess.

"Engreído..."

Miguel muttered before Abuelita Elena sighed in annoyance "We wasted precious time looking for you while you were off dancing with an extraño. Let's go and find Papa Hector already!" Elena did not notice the shock look on our faces as we stared at her marching form.

"Well, that's progress..." I muttered before Miguel grabbed me and hauled me along "Oh come on Miguel, you can't just hold me tight and act jealous" Miguel grunted, not bothering to hide his annoyance.

"I'm just not letting some cabrón snatch you off again somewhere and you could get kidnapped"

I smirked behind his back.

He was annoyed.

***

When we reached the cemetery, there were two tombstones that had the name Hector with no surname and just when Enrique opened each coffin, we were greatly disappointed none of them look like Hector.

"I thought he would be buried here..." Miguel said with downcast eyes. I patted him in the back before Abuelito ordered the men to place the coffins back to where they are.

I patted him on the back "Don't worry Miguel, we'll find him. Besides, only two more towns and cities to find him and I'm sure we'll be able to bring him home before Dia de Muertos" Miguel gave me a smile before Abuelita Elena cutted in.

"That Hector has been away from his family far too long. Time for him to go home and I'll give him a piece of my chancla"

Looking at the letter, Abuelito spoke.

"Our next stop is in Tlaquepaque Mexico"

Abuelita nodded before she looted at the time, it was nearing afternoon and the trip there would be exhausting.

"How about we spend the night here and we go by morning"

Miguel and I grinned "YES!" We screamed before dashing away to tour around the birthplace of the mariachis.

"Miguel! Angelita!, ¡Volver!"