El Día del Amor y la Amistad

A few months after we had reburied Hector and our small adventure, today was the day I had come to dread the most.

El Día del Amor y la Amistad.

Normally, it is called Valentine's Day in the States but we Gonzalez stick to the Mexican way.

I trudged towards my window and already I saw lots of heart shaped banners and decorations outside.

I shivered before heading downstairs to see my family preparing breakfast filled with red heart shaped food or food with the colors for Valentine.

"Feliz día de San Valentín Angelita"

Tio Juan greeted and I waved grimly. Papa Jose was there with his smile present on his face, I'm still getting use to it.

"So mi prima, are you expecting a certain someone to ask you to be his enamorada?"

I smacked Antonio on the back of his head when a one dimple smiled boy entered my mind.

"Like that will ever happen Antoine, he'll ask someone out. You know why I hate this day"

I crossed my arms and glared down while Antoine rolled his eyes.

"Just because every day of this event not a single boy in the states ask you out because you always reward them with a kick in the shin and give them an icy glare doesn't mean Miguel's gonna stay away from you. He knows you for one year already!"

I sighed and looked across the road to the Rivera household. I wonder if what Antoine said was true, that Miguel was gonna ask me out.

***

Inside the Rivera Household, young Miguel Rivera was about a wreck as he is in asking a certain tap dancer out.

Rosa found it highly amusing to see her cousin act like this.

This is so much better than a telenovela.

"Does Angelita like flowers? Would she like to have a moonlight dinner? HOW DO I ASK HER OUT?!"

Rosa sighed in annoyance. Her cousin really tends to over think even the tiniest things in life.

She wondered where he got that from.

"Just ask her out, take a walk and ask if she'll be your Valentine for this day"

Miguel sharply turned to Rosa "This is Angelita we are talking about. She's an Angel, she need to be adored and possibly worshipped!" He raised his hands in exasperation.

Rosa rolled her eyes and looked out of the window and bulged her eyes out.

"She may have been living here for only a year but she's really popular to suitors all of a sudden"

"¡QUE!"

Shoving Rosa out of the way, Miguel peered through his bedroom window and spotted three to seven boys around his age with all types of flowers and sweets symbolizing the holiday.

Rosa grinned "Looks like competition is about to break out" Miguel glared at the group before heading outside and Rosa had to stifle a laugh.

She had forgotten to tell him those suitors were for Maria, not Angelita.

Then again, I wonder how it will come to play.

***

"That's around seven of them out there for you Maria"

Antoine said, peering through the window of Maria's bedroom while Maria and I were sitting on the bed.