Full Moon - Sokka x Waterbender!Reader

On the nights of a full moon you never managed to catch any sleep. It was the shimmering beauty of the object of the night reminding you of home, as well as the feeling of your strength being maximized that prevented you from going to sleep. You wanted to enjoy it as much as you could. After all you had almost lost the feeling a few months back when the fire nation attacked your home and the moon temporarily turned blood red. The lack of your bending during those agonizing minutes had made you realize how little you actually were without it. Your sister had however given this feeling back, but the prize she paid was giving her own life. You understood why she did it, but it didn't make the loss you felt any better. That was probably one of the most important reasons you couldn't sleep during a full moon: you felt closer to Yue.

After the attack, the northern water tribe had mourned the loss of their crown-princess, you being the second daughter were now heir to your fathers position. For this reason you had worried he would arrange you a marriage with Yue's previous fiancé, but your father had learned from his mistakes. When Aang, Katara and Sokka were about to leave the pole he sent you along with them. Before Katara, you had been one of the few female benders in your tribe, only allowed to learn how to master the element in order to protect yourself and your sister in case of emergency. Your father sent you along to help Katara teach Aang the ways of waterbending, that and he secretly wished for you to see the world and discover more of who you were as a person.

So here you were standing by the cold water at midnight looking up at the moon with a sad smile. Many thoughts crowded your mind, but you couldn't speak them. For some reason you just didn't know how to find the right words tonight. Instead you started bending the water, at first slow and peacefully then more aggressively, allowing it to display your emotions and be your voice.

Sokka was watching from the distance. He hadn't been able to fall asleep and when he heard rustling outside the tent he went to take a look, only to discover it was you.

Watching you waterbend under the light of the full moon was a pleasure to his eyes. He thought you moved with absolute grace, the water easily flowing along to your movements and making it look almost as if you were dancing. Your face looked beautiful and you seemed at complete peace. This sight made him smile slightly and he couldn't stop staring. Even when you turned around and almost froze him to his spot upon discovering his presence.

'How long have you been standing there?!' you quietly exclaimed, not wanting to wake the others. When he didn't reply you stalked over to him and gently poked his side. This shook him out of his trance and his eyes connected with yours questioningly. You sighed and repeated the question.

Sokka smiled and shrugged: 'ever since you got up'. He was quiet for a few seconds, before adding 'what you did there, looked absolutely beautiful.'

You smiled and felt your cheeks slightly heat up at the compliment. 'Why were you even awake?', you curiously asked.

'I couldn't sleep and then I heard something and went to check it out. What are you doing up, Y/N?'

'I couldn't sleep either. I guess the moon just keeps me awake', you spoke sadly.

'Yue?'

You nodded, 'I feel like I have so much to tell her these days, about our travelling, teaching Aang waterbending, fighting the fire nation and just finding a special someone. I just never seem to be able to find the right words.'

A quiet sigh left Sokka's lips when you spoke of "special someone". He had been fearing this: the moment where he would lose all of his chances with you. He knew he should've tried harder to win you for him, but he also felt conflicted. He had almost dated your sister and he didn't want it to seem like he was using you to replace her. You and Yue were two different people, if he didn't know better, he would've thought you hadn't been sisters. You were carefree, loved bending and didn't mind standing up to your tribes rules, whereas Yue did everything and anything for her tribe even if it meant giving up her own happiness.

"As long as it's not the Jet guy" he thought grumpily. "Are you really willing to let her go without even telling her what you feel for her?", a quiet voice asked him from the back of his mind. "As long as he makes her happy", another sad thought grumbled back. "You still have a chance, you know. Besides, what if it IS the Jet guy? Would you really want to give her up to him?" Sokka shook his head no at the voice inside his head. "See, so stop her now before she does!"

Sokka cleared his throat, snapping you out of your own thought process. You had been too busy fighting an inner battle in your mind to notice Sokka had been doing the same. He slightly stuttered: 'what about finding someone bothers you so much?'

Your eyes widened a little at the direct question, but at the same time you were happy to have a chance to finally speak your mind about this. 'I'm afraid she'll be disappointed, hurt or just simply not accept it.'

'Why?' Sokka wondered out loud.

'Because Yue and he...' you answered, trailing off before adding any detail at all.

Sokka thought for a moment, his mind trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. 'Wait, what?!', he exclaimed, 'oh come on, don't tell me you like that guy your father wanted to Yue to marry? He's a complete airhead! That's just about as bad as Jet!'

You stood frozen at Sokka's sudden outburst, your eyebrows furrowing together in confusion. 'Who the hell is Jet?' The lack of response from you only riled Sokka up further.

'If he wants to be with you, it's only for your position! He doesn't deserve you! I bet he couldn't even love you like I do!'

Realizing too late what he had said Sokka shut his mouth tightly, averting his gaze from your staring figure. 'I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking about what I said. Forget it. Go be happy with him.'

'Did you mean that?', you asked in anticipation, your heart beating faster after hearing Sokka's words.

He shrugged, 'it doesn't matter anyway.'

'Yes it does!'

Sokka didn't reply after that, leaving the two of you standing beside each other, breathing heavily after the previous outbursts. The air around you tight with awkward tension.

'Fine', Sokka suddenly sneered, 'if you so badly must know. I'll show you.' And with that his hands roughly found your body, pulling you against him and placing his lips over yours. The feeling of his soft lips against yours was in great contrast to the way his hands had pushed you up against him, however his roughness didn't hurt you.

Before your lips could even react to his, he had already pulled away and started walking in the opposite direction from you.

'Sokka!' You yelled, running after him, almost into his front when he suddenly spun on his feet.

'Wasn't that clear enough, Y/N?! I love you! I love the way your hair moves in the wind, I love the way your eyes sparkle all the time, I love the way you bend water so graciously as if you're dancing. I just love every single little thing about you and knowing you won't ever look at me with the love I feel for you, hurts! It hurts me to know you have feelings for someone else, but I should've known. You're a princess and I'm just a little-'

You weren't sure what brought you to press your lips against his, but you did know you couldn't listen to him bringing himself further down. Sokka stood paralyzed, not sure if he was awake or dreaming anymore as you were the one kissing him this time.

'You were talking too much', you whispered against his lips when you broke free, your forehead resting against his, 'you didn't even let me tell you that it's you, Sokka. I love you.'

Hearing these words coming from your lips, Sokka didn't need any further confirmation and pulled you in for another passionate kiss.

Extended ending

Yue was looking down on the two lovers, smiling to herself proudly. Her little sister had finally found her happiness with the sweetest man on the planet and she wouldn't have it any other way.