Ba Sing Se (Part 1) - Zuko x Reader

First part in an untitled series of a Zuko x Reader. Inspired by the OS 'Nightmares', it's basically the pre-story. Enjoy! <3

A small group of Kyoshi warriors was to be stationed at the Earth Kingdom's capital, in order to bring peace within the outer rings. Suki had assigned this job to a few girls including Y/N causing the former group of female warriors to split up into smaller sections, each containing five girls. However when Y/N's group arrived in Ba Sing Se, it soon became clear that their protection wasn't appreciated with the already existing Dai Li fighters.

However, being raised to never judge a book by its cover the girls did some undercover work and soon found out that the Dai Li might've not been what they seemed like. Along this came the realization that even their undercover work in the city was too dangerous when several people disappeared overnight and reappeared the next day, seemingly without any knowledge of their former existence outside the city. The warriors would really have to blend in with the crowd if they wanted to have a slight chance to discover more about the Dai Li and other possible threats within the city.

Y/N, being in charge of the little group, took it upon herself to sent Suki an update letter with their newly found information about the Dai Li and the plan to blend in. Once the letter was sent, the five girls got started on their new plan. Dressed in local clothing they each went to look for different jobs. Y/N decided to try the local tea shop that had gotten busier ever since two new employees were hired. She was genuinely confused as to how the tea shop had suddenly gotten the reputation of being the best, but once she got inside and smelled the different variety of fresh herbs that were used to create the tea it didn't surprise her that much anymore. The service was also incredibly fast she noticed when a young man approached her.

'Hello miss, what can I help you with today?' Y/N smiled at his neutral face, annoyance seemed present in his eyes but he managed to cover it up pretty well. A large scar, partly covered by his bangs, showed he had a past story with the Firenation. Somewhere back in her mind there was a voice telling her she had seen this man before, but Y/N couldn't think of when or where.

'Oh, um yes', she stumbled on her words once she realized she had gotten lost in her thought process, 'I was wondering if you were hiring people?'

The boy looked at her and shrugged, 'I'm not sure. I'll take you to the owner Pao. Follow me' and he was already making his way through the buzzing shop. He took the H/C girl all the way to the backroom, where he exchanged a few words with an elder, likely the owner of the shop.

'Thank you, Lee. Please go help your uncle now, we haven't been this busy in ages!' The man seemed very excited when he sent Lee back. He then turned to you and officially introduced himself as Pao, owner of the family tea shop. 'So you're interested in working here, huh?'

After exchanging a few more words with Pao, you were given a waitress uniform for your first shift the next morning. You also met Lee and his uncle Mushi, before you went back to the little house you shared with the other girls. Lee still seemed awfully familiar to you but you had no clue as to where you could've seen the former refugee before, the name didn't ring a bell at all. You decided you wouldn't think about it any longer, coming to the conclusion that you had seen him on the train during the travel to Ba Sing Se, that made sense after all.

The next morning your first shift started. Mushi was a very sweet elder, who made the most incredible tea you had ever smelled and tasted. He had insisted you tried one of his favorites before work, claiming you couldn't work in the shop if you hadn't tried the tea yourself. Lee scoffed at this and said he managed just fine to which his uncle looked at him disapprovingly. You giggled at the two earning a strange look from Lee and a cup of tea from Mushi.