Home is where the heart is - Sokka x Reader

Requested by: @dusty-skies Thank you once again for your requests!

Author's note regarding REQUESTS!
I've still got a couple of requests waiting to be written. If yours hasn't been published yet, I'm sorry, it will eventually come (probably). If you want to make sure that I didn't overlook it, place a comment with your request on the 'Important' chapter or send me a private message. 

Lastly, I'm genuinely curious as to what people think of this OS. 

Enjoy reading, I hope you like it! <3 End of author's note. Start OS

Cold. That's all you felt the moment you awoke. You tried to open your eyes but they wouldn't budge, you tried to move your hands, your feet, your fingers, your toes, but nothing seemed to cooperate.

Voices. If only they would find you. 'Help', you tried to scream, but your lips refused to part. You tried to move again, open your eyes, anything to let these distant voices know you were here, but nothing came.
Darkness. It came and consumed you.

A few weeks had passed since your full awaking. Only for you to find out whatever strange coma or dream you had been in, was actually reality and you were stuck in the magical world of avatar, along with Aang, the avatar himself, Katara and Sokka. The latter had found you completely blacked out in the snow on the north pole, right after finding Aang and Zuko during their battle against the firenation. They had taken you along on their journey on Sokka's request.

You hadn't gotten a clue as to why you were here or how you even managed to get into the TV-series. All you remembered was the cold and darkness. One you hadn't had to feel when you were home. Home. Such a strange place to think about, it must've been over a month and a half since you had been home with your family in your familiar room. You couldn't forget about it, even if you wanted to, your mind would constantly remind you of it even in your dreams, the familiar embrace of your parents, the familiar scent and taste of your mom's special dinner. You missed being able to talk to them about your day, listening to their days and just simply hearing their voices and being in their presence. Feeling their familiar love for you.

It wasn't that you minded being with the people you were with right now, Aang, Katara and Sokka made great company, but it didn't feel like home. Though Sokka often managed to brighten up your days, momentarily making you forget about the situation you were in and helping you learn how to protect yourself without bending. Meanwhile Katara and Aang were desperate to find out if you could possibly bend any element.

The nights were the worst. The dreams were both a blessing and a torture, they took you home for a moment to a lovely place, but ripped you away from that same spot just as much when you woke up.

'Mommy, look what I did!', your 5-year old self yelled at your mother while holding up pieces of the bike you had just undone.
Your mother laughed softly, looking over at your father who was working on fixing her bike, being the example to what you had just done. 'Great job, sweetie. How about you try to put it back together as well?'
'Sure', you confidently told her. Marching away with a big grin on your face and stealing a few of your dad's tools on your way back. Not too long after you were riding your bike again, both of your parents smiling proudly at you and clapping their hands.

Suddenly you were 13 again, standing in the kitchen and preparing a meal for your family, your dad was sitting at the table. 'I love you so much, do you know that?', your dad told you with so much feeling that you had to bite your lip from crying. You nodded, 'I love you too.' Your dad nodded in knowledge.
'I am so very lucky to have you as my daughter', he continued speaking, 'your mother and I are incredibly blessed to have such an amazing daughter. We really love you a lot, Y/N.'

You awoke before your dream could get any worse, or better depending on how you look at it. Touching your face with your hand, it didn't take you long to find out you were crying once again. A dull, sad and empty feeling in your chest. You missed them so much. You regretted not ever telling them enough how much you actually loved them too and how amazing they were in your eyes and how much you loved being their daughter.

Before bursting out in sobs that could wake the others, you quietly got up and stalked away from the camp. Sitting down at a rock nearby and burying your face in your hands.

Quiet sobs left your mouth as more tears streamed down your face. All alone. Without your family, your parents, your loved ones to be there with you.

It was only being without them how much you realized you needed them, how much you loved them, cared about them and how much they unconditionally gave you. They loved you so very deeply and you were afraid you never even showed them a glimpse of that in return. You regretted not doing so many things now.

A hand on your back startled you, causing you to whip around and punch at your attacker. Only to be held down by Sokka.

'Y/N', he whispered looking at your tearstained face in the moonlight. You looked away from his saddened stare.

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you', he said taking a seat close beside you and wrapping his arms around your shoulders to pull you into his embrace. You leaned into him, your head resting on his shoulder. Your crying had calmed down after being scared so badly, only a few tears falling down your cheeks now.

'Why were you crying?' Sokka gently asked, one of his hands in your hair, soothingly playing with it.

For a moment you sat in silence with him, allowing his fingers to calm your mind and body. 'I just miss home', you then replied with a deep sigh. 'I want to go home, but I can't and I don't know how I could ever go home either anymore. It just seems impossible but it's all I wish for. I hate being here.'

You immediately regretted saying the latter as you felt the young warrior tense up beside you.

'Oh... I'm sorry', he spoke.

'No, no. I didn't mean it like that. I mean it's not the worst place to be, I just really wish I could be with my family again, my parents. I miss them so much.'

Sokka nodded in understanding, one of his hands had found its way to your side and was gently rubbing circles. 'But we're not so bad right? I mean, maybe those two asleep are. But I'm not so bad right?'

You softly laughed at this and nodded. 'You're all not so bad, Sokka.'

'What about me, specifically?'

You playfully shook your head, avoiding the question as much as you could. You refused to give him any signs that you were somewhat into the watertribe boy.

'You know, at least I got a smile for that. I don't like seeing you sad and I'd do anything if it meant you wouldn't be sad anymore,' he paused for a moment, 'even if that meant letting you go home.'

You sighed softly, happy to have someone like Sokka that cared about you so much. He suddenly adjusted you in his arms and easily lifted you up so that you were sitting in his lap, facing him sideways.

'Despite that, I would also much rather keep you here though. You're incredible, amazing, sweet, funny, caring and getting better at fighting every day. And every day that we're training I keep falling for you more and more and now I'm totally in love with you to the point of no return. I need to do this, Y/N. Push me away if you don't feel the same, but I need to know.'

With that he pressed his lips against yours with so much feeling. The mere touch of his lips fitting on yours ignited your entire body with a fire so bright and after a moment of surprise, your lips moved in sync with his. This encouraged Sokka to trace his hands over your body, one weaving in your hair while the other lingered on the small of your back, pulling you closer into him.

For a moment the two of you broke apart, your eyes briefly met Sokka's darkening orbs which displayed the longing for more. You didn't hesitate to lean in closer, your lips brushing his and soon found themselves busy with Sokka's again.

At this point you had completely forgotten about your bad dreams, the longing for home and the sadness. Of course after this you would still wish to go home and be with your family again, but while you were here it wouldn't be so bad anymore. You had Sokka and Sokka made you feel at home.