All Seasons Round 2/3 - AU - Depressed!Zuko x GenderNeutral!Therapist!Reader

The idea behind this was requested a long time ago by: @crxstxllxzxd. I'm sorry for the delay in my writing, hopefully you'll enjoy reading this. Also, I tried to make this a GenderNeutral!Reader (not requested along with this, but some comments made me realize that up until now I've always assumed a female gender so I wanted to try and include everyone, please tell me how I did and what I can improve in the future).

This part hasn't been proof read as thoroughly as most of my other works, so apologies in advance for potential spelling or grammar mistakes. Not sure how I feel about the plot.

Warnings: mention of depression, implied suicidal thoughts, failing treatment and a verbal fight (no language warning)

Please don't read this small series if any of the above might trigger you.

Also, if you're dealing with any mental health issues, it's okay to seek help. In the chapter titled 'suicide hotlines' of this book you can find a list of suicide crisis lines across the world. 

-----------

After the two of you had gotten over the initial first few bumps in your professional relationship, it felt like Zuko and you became closer and you started making progress with the boy. The biggest bump you had to take was convincing Zuko you were actually his therapist and not a patient in the facility.

'I'm your therapist, Zuko.'

'You must be joking', Zuko started, straightening himself up to show he was much taller than them in an attempt to look more intimidating, 'I have no clue as to why the hell you've been managing to walk around here without anyone taking you back to your holding cell, but I'm quite simply done with your insanity. What the hell is wrong with you and why are you here?'

Mirroring his posture, Y/N smiled softly at him, 'my name is Y/N L/N. I'm the only child of F/N and M/N, the owners of this building.'

Zuko only believed you after you had shown him several graduation papers and your keycard which definitely held a picture of you and said you were fully authorized to walk around the entire building due to your status. This by itself had taken two sessions.

After that Y/N had to figure out a suitable treatment for the boy. One that would help him talk about his thoughts, while in the process teach him how to cope in better ways. Or eventually. Settling on the foundation of a professional relationship starting with trust and bonding, she figured they'd just start to get to know one another over the course of about two to three sessions.

However, as the couple repetitively met in her office, Y/N quickly realized the boy didn't enjoy the stuffy room and eventually one day after watching him stare longingly out of her window, she suggested taking a walk in the park together.

It was the beginning of a time where Zuko would open up more to Y/N and talk about things he enjoyed doing, even if the list often was limited or consisted of things they were doing right in that moment. "I like feeding young animals", as they were feeding little ducklings. "It's nice to relax like this." "I like exploring."

Little did Y/N know that whatever Zuko told her during these trips to the park, were nowhere close to an image of what really went on in the boy's head. Zuko liked it that way though. Ever since the time you two had left your stuffy office, he had enjoyed going out with you. Going out because in his mind he wasn't taking therapy sessions with this beautiful person. Zuko had decided that therapy would be called going on a date, because essentially this gave him something to look forward to every week.