Finally free (Ba Sing Se: Part 4) - Zuko x Reader

Final part to this short story! Quite short, but enjoy! <3

-----------

A few weeks since the first escape in the history of the Boiling Rock had passed when the news reached the highly secured prison that the war was finally over. Everything happened fast after that, several innocent prisoners were released, while others were brought in. Mai was soon released by her uncle, but refused to leave without her two friends: Y/N and Ty Lee. The warden wouldn't have cared less, if it hadn't been for Mai stating that he was keeping the new Firelord's girlfriend captive and she was sure Firelord Zuko wouldn't like to hear of this. This immediately changed his mind.

The three girls were divided over two releases: Mai and Y/N were in the first group, while Ty Lee was put in the second group. She didn't mind though, naming several familiar names that she had met during her imprisonment. 'They're Kyoshi warriors, just like you, Y/N', the flexible girl exclaimed happily, 'and we're totally best friends already!'

'I know those girls!', you were happy to hear they all seemed to be in good shape after the war, but wouldn't be given a chance to reunite with them until you were in the capital of the Firenation, which was where Mai was taking you.

Getting to the city where you'd finally see Zuko again, didn't take as long as you had expected. Mai, being familiar with most of the staff in the palace from the time she dated the soon-to-be Firelord guided the two of you around the place to one of the quarters where you could freshen up from your trip out of prison.

'I'm taking you to Zuko later', she told you before leaving you alone, 'so take a bath and wear the dress that will be on the bed. You reek of prison, yuck.'

'So do you!', you yelled after her when she exited the beautifully decorated red room. You knew you smelled bad after being stuck in prison for months and so hurriedly made your way into the bathroom to clean yourself off.

After a nice warm bath, your S/C skin was incredibly soft because of the oils that you had greedily used on yourself and you smelled like fresh roses. Upon walking back into the room you indeed noticed a beautiful red dress spread out on the bed for you. You had just finished putting on the dress and ruby choker when someone knocked on your door, this was followed by Mai's voice asking if you were ready.

Instead of answering the young woman, you opened the door and walked outside, smiling and nodding at her. 'As ready as I'll ever be.'

'Come on then. It's not like we've got all day.'

The two of you walked in silence to where you suspected Zuko would be. Nerves began pooling in your stomach, while your mind decided to throw as much insecurities at you as it could think of. Mai noticed the sudden change in your behavior and stopped you before you could walk into the room where she knew Zuko would be.

'Y/N', the girl spoke taking a good look at you and making you look at her. For once her cold demeanor was a little less present, 'Zuko is probably just as nervous to see you as you are to see him. If not more. I mean, he's quite stupid so he doesn't realize that you being here means you like him too. You'll be fine.' Not giving you a moment to back out of the situation she pushed you into the room where you quickly spotted the Firelord-to-be staring out of the window.

'Don't you ever, ever think of hurting us again', Mai threatened behind you before quickly disappearing. Her voice had brought Zuko's attention to the entrance where he noticed your presence. His eyes immediately locked on your choker.

'You're wearing it', he breathed out slightly relieved the moment he saw the red ruby dangling around your neck. With a few strides, Zuko was standing in front of you. The past months completely forgotten along with the nerves and insecurities the both of you had been feeling mere moments ago. Zuko's arms wrapped around your waist pulling you closer against him, while yours wrapped around his shoulders. Leaning into each other you allowed him to fill you with his familiar comforting warmth and softly pressed your lips on his.