Final: Part 3 to Competition - Zuko x Reader

Part 1: Competition
Part 2: Dinner

Part 3 to this was requested by a few readers. Thank you all! I hope you enjoy it! <3 

After Iroh left the room Zuko and you spent the rest of the night talking to one another. Telling each other stories about your lives, where you came from and asking a lot about his travelling time with the avatar. In such a short period of time you learned a lot more about the young man sitting beside you, realizing he was very kindhearted and smart for his age. You learned that he was looking for a wife to support him in his duties, which you came to realize were a lot more than you had expected. You grew a lot of respect for the 20 year old with the weight of a broken nation on his shoulders.

It was at the end of the night after he took you to one of the guestrooms (insisting you stay in the palace for the night because it was late and he wouldn't want you walking outside anymore), when he asked you to join the competition. This however happened with a lot of rambling: 'I know you wouldn't want to after our talk this afternoon, but you seem different than most girls I've had to meet yet. It's okay if you don't, and it's okay if you do and realize you don't want it later too. But it'd be a great possibility for us to spend time without rumors spreading and maybe if you do want to and want to stay in the end then-'

'I will', you interrupted the young firelord. Both because you wanted to relieve him from the awkward situation he was putting himself in and because you didn't want him to finish that sentence. Zuko broke into a wide smile and quickly bid you goodnight, leaving you to prepare for the night and fall asleep in the royal guestroom he left you at.

About three weeks later you were one of the last two girls left to become the firelord's queen. During this time you had gotten to spend more time with the man himself, both during the obligated competition dates, as well as the times he'd sneak into your room to chat at night and the "unscheduled" meetups in the park. Sometimes you believed Zuko spent more time with you than he did with the other girls, but at other times you saw the way one of other contestants looked at him, you believed her name was Jin. Zuko seemed to be into her too. You had watched them on one of their dates, both laughing and chatting like lovers would. She was your last opponent in this competition.

Aside from the fun dates you got to go on with the firelord where you just got to know each other's interests, you also had to go through training. It was part of the competition that you had to do this, in order to become a decent "queen".

Jin also did a great job in these sessions. One of these competitive training sessions was aimed at judging and improving your posture. A few classy women believed this was incredibly important for Zuko's future wife, considering the responsibilities she'd have as the future queen of the firenation. The women that had insisted this would be part of the competition had also been against the idea of commoners joining the competition and this would be their way to eliminate these girls from the competition. Jin became their favorite ever since that day, she walked gracefully and light, almost as if she was floating above the ground.

You on the other hand had stumbled and dropped the book on top of your head almost right after placing it there. You definitely would've been thrown out because of this if it hadn't been for Zuko's final say in the matter. Since the winner of the competition was supposed to become his wife, he could keep you in even if everyone else wanted you out. It wasn't his most appreciated gesture though when he kept you in even though the large book you were supposed to carry on your head, fell off within seconds. Zuko had smiled at you and even laughed a little, earning disapproving looks from the women that were seated beside him. You were convinced you had even heard them quietly mumble to each other that you would be a disgrace to the royal family if firelord Zuko would choose you to become his queen.