Chapter 5

Natalie's POV

Jim's dead... another person of our group gone. And again, I couldn't do anything about it.

What was the point of all those years of training when I can't even keep people from dying.

Am I too distracted my Daryl? Nah.. I've had far more worse distractions, but him. He is different.

I am broken out of my thoughts by a bright white light shining from the open door of the CDC.

"Please. Give us a chance!" Rick begs. I look up to the man who is standing with s gun, a safe distance from us. He thinks for a moment.

"You have to submit a blood test. That's the price of admission." The man says. Lydia, Chris and I all exchange glances. Once we come into the light he drops his gun from aiming when he sees us.

"Hello Dr. Jenner." I say stepping forward and everyone looks at us shocked.

"Natalia Patrova. Lydia Romanoff. Christof Ives." He says in a low voice. "I knew you of all people would make it." He says with a small smile. Lydia runs up and hugs him.

Her and her hugging, she's always been that way. Then again it is nice to see a friendly face.
We've seen him many times at the facility.

"This is Dr. Edwin Jenner." I say adjusting my bag on my shoulder. Daryl eyes me, still unsure.

"How you know him?" Rick speaks up and I tense up, but relax quickly coming up with an excuse.

"In our line of work, we've crossed paths a lot..." I tell them. I notice Daryl still looking at me, unease about this. I nod to him letting him know it's okay. I see his tensed up muscles relax slightly and he nods back.

_________________

"There are limited rooms so some of you will have to double up." He says and I walk next to Chris and Lydia. "And if you choose to take showers, go easy on the hot water." He says. Glenn and T-dog smile.

"You want to room with Daryl? or me and Chris?" Lydia asks as I see Daryl walk into a room.

"I'll room with him. I need to keep an eye on him and what better way to do it than be his roomie." I joke making her laugh. I set my stuff down in the room as we both head out to get our blood drawn.

Dr. Jenner finishes up with us.

"We haven't eaten in days." Jacquie says, helping Andrea stand up. He looks around at us then stands up.

"Come with me."

____________

After dinner, I help very drunk Daryl back to the room as he stumbles, leaning on me for support. Once we get back I lay him down on the couch.

"Easy does it." I say helping him down. He looks at me for a long moment and actually smiles. A drunken smile, but none the less, a smile.

"Ya know. Nobody ain't ever took care of me like ya do Natalie. Ye a special girl." He slurs, looping his finger around a piece of my hair and tucking it behind my ear. "Ye one of the good ones. Thank ya, for everythin." He adds, the smile still on his face. I nod to him.

"Shh, you're drunk Daryl. I'm going to take a shower, if you need anything let me know." I tell him as I grab a clean pair of clothes and walk to the bathroom. I turn the shower on and feel the wonderful hot water wash off all the dirt, blood and sweat off me. I smile at the wonderful feeling and scrub my hair at least 3 times, and wash down my body.