Chapter 37

Natalie's POV

"W-Why aren't they back yet? They should be back by now!" I tell Lydia as I pace the floor in worry.

"Natalie calm down please. I'm sure they are fine." Lydia reassures me.

"No, don't patronize me Lydia. To many strong members of our group are gone. These people? They don't know what the hell they're doing." I reply rather bitterly. She sighs heavily.

"You know Daryl leaves because he needs closure for things. Remember that time you left to find Joe and his men? That night I begged you not to go. You did it for you. Daryl is doing this for him Natalie." She tells me and I nod.

"I know, I just worry about him. And Rick, and Glenn. All of them.. I don't know what I'd do if I lost any of them." I reply, feeling my eyes water.

I don't know what I would do if I lost Glenn. He is my bestfriend, the good angel on my shoulder. I know I can always count on him. Rick, he has made a huge impact in my life. I love them, they are my family. And Daryl... well you know whats up with that. The thought of loosing any of them breaks my heart.

I look over to the clock seeing that its getting later. "We should go out there, be back when they get here." I add as she nods, us both walking out. A car pulls through the gate, revealing a worried Rick.

"Morgan's still out there looking. Is Michonne here?" He asks Abraham as he closes the gate.

"She's still out there too." Abraham replies sadly. Rick turns to me and I walk up, embracing him in a hug in which he returns tightly.

"They'll be okay." I whisper to him as I kiss his cheek, pulling away. He squeezes my hand making me give him a weak smile.

"Were you afraid? To get back to it.. Let somebody close?" Abraham asks us.

"I used to be. Terrified even. But now, I have people I call family. You are part of my family Abraham." I respond making him give me a ghost of a smile. I turn to Rick. "I'm going to go check on Maggie." I tell him before waving bye. Lydia follows me as we walk to the house.

"You think there will be a fight?" Lydia asks me breaking the heavy silence. I look to her, zipping up my jacket as the cold breeze flows through my hair.

"If there is, we'll win it. No matter how long it takes, or what we have to go through, we'll win." I tell her and she nods with a small smile. We are broken out of our conversation by the young girl, Enid aka Carl's girlfriend, running out of Maggie and Glenn's house.

"Natalie! Lydia! Its Maggie! Something is wrong!" She yells, making fear corse through my veins as we rush into the house.

________________

I grab two extra clips, putting them on my belt while Lydia hands me my arrows as we both rush out the house.

"I'll stay here, hold it down while you all are gone. Hilltop is far, there is no telling what can happen. These people are trained, but not nearly ready enough on their own. You be safe." She tells me as I pull her into a hug.

"Okay, if Daryl comes back, tell him I'll be back for him." I respond as her grip tightens on my jacket. She pulls away and gives me a small smile. I nod to her before climbing into the RV, making my way to the back where Maggie is.

"Natalie." She whispers hoarsely. I wring out the wet cloth before dabbing it on her sweat glistened forehead, grabbing her hand with my other.

"You're going to be okay." I tell her as she smiles weakly. "All okay." I whisper the last part, feeling my eyes tear up.